To manage the strategic focus of the In-Market operations of the Corporate Practice Group (the Group) in the London office; co-ordinate the BDMC function's office resources and develop a strategic focused, market-leading BDMC business-partnering capability which enables the Group in the London office to win, retain and grow business.
To manage a small team locally and liaise with multiple stakeholders across the Firm to identify our competitive advantages and bring these to life in marketing materials, presentations and pitches.
The Corporate Practice Group is our largest in London, comprising several sub groups. It is fast moving, and we are therefore seeking someone who will thrive in a dynamic, commercially-focused, environment.
- Drive strategic, revenue-generating BD activities for the Corporate Practice
- Work with partners and leadership to develop the growth plan for the Practice Group, ensuring that our marketing captures our unique value proposition; identify and prioritise the Key Client opportunities, marketing initiatives and service lines of the Group, communications campaigns required, priority revenue generating service lines/initiatives and key events
- Collaborate closely with our Banking & Finance Practice Group to promote our overall transactional capabilities as appropriate
- Act as the first point of contact for all business development needs of the Group; manage and prioritise BDMC practice group activities
- Lead and develop the other members of the Corporate Business Development team, ensuring they have clear objectives and are delivering at the expected standard
- Adopt a strategic perspective with a hands-on approach to delivery; identify and pursue opportunities, bringing in support from the wider marketing and business development community as appropriate
- Build and maintain close working relationships with colleagues in Expert functions and End-to-End Services to ensure the practice groups are benefitting from best practice and latest thinking elsewhere in the Firm
- Work with these teams to deliver a high-quality end-to-end service on corporate proposals and contributing appropriately to cross-practice pitches
- Ensure the Firm captures the feedback, matter experience, client contacts and business development leads to enable the practice to promote itself effectively and to grow its business
- Work with colleagues in Client Development and Industry Sectors to ensure lawyers are armed with information on latest trends and related hot topics/talking points and use them to generate opportunities
- Regularly review pipeline of targets to ensure that opportunities are prioritised and targeting efforts are focused on the greatest opportunities for developing business
- Identify, prioritise and develop opportunities across our EMEA+ offices
Travel requirements This role will not require regular travel
About the team
The Firm’s BDMC function works closely with our Partners and leadership teams to:
- Increase our revenue, profitability and share across markets, industries and clients
- Enable us to win, retain and grow business through powerful pitches, engaging thought leadership and strong relationship management
- Lead market & client intelligence efforts to create new service line opportunities in industry and practice groups
- Channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity and culture through a single communications voice
The Corporate Department
The Corporate department provides skilled M&A (public and private), capital markets, private equity, projects, reorganisations, and financial services advice, alongside traditional company law, board level compliance, and corporate governance support, to a wide range of clients, including listed PLCs, financial institutions, and major multinational corporates.
Our practice is broad, and much of what we do is cross-border. The London Corporate team has over 150 fee earners and business professionals and we work across 6 key industry groups: Consumer goods & Retail, Energy Mining & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Healthcare, Industrials, Manufacturing& Transportation, Technology, Media and Telecoms. Our key differentiator is our Lawyers who collaborate across borders, markets and industries around the globe. Our Lawyers embrace new ideas and emerging technologies to give businesses confidence in these uncertain times. Our clients include nearly all of the world’s 100 largest public companies and more than three-quarters of the Fortune 500.
You will report to Head of London BDMC.
Your direct reports, if any:
1 x Business Development Manager and 1 x Business Development Executive
- BDMC colleagues in Expert and E2E functions
- Partners and lawyers
- Professional & Business Services (PBS) colleagues
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2018 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2019: currently ranked 10th
- The Lawyer: The Global 200 2018: ranked 4th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18: Five awards:
- Best International Firm for Women in Business Law
- Most Innovative International Firm
- Best International Firm for Talent Management
- Best in UK
- Beatriz Araújo won Best in Corporate Governance
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or email.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Gareth Newbery, Recruitment Manager on 020 7072 5743 or email.
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfill their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
About the candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience ? Bachelor’s Degree desirable/Masters or qualifications focusing on Marketing, Communications, Sales or other related commercial subjects would be advantageous.
- Significant experience in a marketing and/or business development role, preferably in a professional services environment
- Strategic perspective with a hands-on approach to delivery
- Experience working with senior stakeholders and developing relationships with them
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively manage competing priorities
- Strong judgment and ability to make well-reasoned independent decisions
- Advanced understanding of strategic marketing and communications
- Self-motivated and independent, able to work with a minimum of supervision
- Comfortable working across multiple cultures and time zones in a matrix organization
- Strong interpersonal skills, including pleasant nature and ability to influence others
- High degree of attention to detail
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.