We are looking for a Paralegal to join our highly-regarded Intellectual Property department at Baker McKenzie LLP.
Everything we do is predicated on us having exceptional, up-to-the-minute knowledge of IP law and the ability to translate that knowledge quickly and effectively into advice that really addresses our clients' needs. The role of the Paralegal is integral to the team as it assists us by organising our efforts to find innovative ways of using our know-how to add-value to our key client relationships. Key areas of responsibility will include:
- Liaising with Knowledge Management to maintain a comprehensive system of work product/know-how, including both internally-produced materials and external material
- Keeping Group members informed of significant additions
- Assisting Department lawyers (and others) on ad hoc basis with specific requests for know-how, liaising with PSLs, LIC, and trainees as appropriate
- Collection and submission of relevant department know-how onto the Firm's electronic database
- Reviewing and monitoring online and hard copy library resources for IP lawyers
- Supporting client and internal training, including producing slides/ speakers notes
- Liaising with Paralegals and PSLs in other departments and collaborate on projects/areas of common interest
- Liaising/working with the Knowledge Management department to contribute Department input into office-wide databases, systems and initiatives, to identify and inform Department lawyers of relevant developments etc. in other
- Liaising with LIC to disseminate information to Department lawyers and generally to enhance knowledge of Department lawyers as to LIC services and know how
- Preparing regular client alerts and provide contributions to other BM/external publications, where necessary
- Maintaining circulation lists, and full databank of relevant publications
- Liaising with Business Development department where necessary
- Assisting in preparation of pitches; maintaining database of pitch materials
- Assisting in preparation of internal/external seminars; maintaining database of materials
- Assisting in production of marketing materials and publications - including practice group and individual lawyer resumes, submissions to legal directories, etc
Why should you apply for this role?
Baker McKenzie was one of the first law firms to recognise intellectual property as a legal specialism in its own right, and was a pioneer in establishing an international network of IP practitioners who are able to service the cross border needs of international trade mark owners. Today, Baker McKenzie has over 500 IP professionals around the world, working together as a cohesive unit to provide a range of comprehensive IP and trade mark portfolio management services to the Firm's global clients.
We take one paralegal per year in this role. All of our previous paralegals have moved into training contracts at leading firms and have fed back that this role has given them a great insight into how a firm works and taught them skills that will be invaluable in their future legal careers.
The IP department comprises solicitors, barristers, trade mark attorneys, trainee solicitors and paralegals. Four partners lead the award winning London IP team who have an unrivalled depth and breadth of IP expertise allowing them to offer clients a full one stop shop IP service. The department has an enviable client profile advising a number of the world’s best known IP owners in a variety of industry areas, including retail, technology, broadcasting, pharmaceuticals, e-commerce, biotechnology and entertainment.
Baker McKenzie was named Global IP Law Firm of the Year at the 2017 Managing IP Awards in London. As well as the local practice recognition (Band 1 Brand Management, Legal 500) the team have also been recognised on a global scale, as we were ranked in Band 1 for the tenth year running by Chambers Global. The editorial described us an "outstanding global powerhouse with a distinguished IP team, particularly well known for its work in trade mark registration and enforcement. A market leader in the Asia-Pacific region and highly regarded for its European presence, complemented by strong coverage in the USA. Adept at handling anti-counterfeiting and copyright matters, as well as patent enforcement and management" ..... The write-up also cites other strengths, particularly our ability to handle cross-border matters where clients highlight the “benefit of working with a firm that is able to coordinate multiple jurisdictions.”
Key skills and Experience required
- Law graduate (or an undergraduate degree followed by GDL or equivalent)
- Numerate with an interest in learning financial analysis
- Strong team player
- Passion for law and in particular for staying ahead-of-the-curve in respect of legal developments
- Genuine desire to become a subject-matter expert
- Strong communicator both orally and in writing
- Ability to be client-facing where required
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and pro-activity
- Enthusiasm for using technology to facilitate role
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
- Previous work experience as a paralegal
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 78 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2016 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2016: currently ranked 57th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2017: currently ranked 7th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or email.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Aylin Berenti, Recruitment Officer, on 020 7919 5772 or email.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.