This is a unique opportunity to join our growing Legal Project Management team, which focuses on client service and process innovation, to increase efficiency and improve the firm's overall profitability.
Our Legal Project Management team is market leading in the legal sector. We deliver operational cost effectiveness to improve delivery on fee-estimates and alternative fee-arrangements to our clients. This helps our lawyers, as we provide client-facing project management skills while minimising fee-earner time involved by helping to monitor and manage matters internally, and also looking at the effectiveness of internal processes. The Legal Project Coordinator will provide administrative support to the Legal Project Managers (LPMs) on matters (domestic and international) as well as liaise with our Global Services Office in Belfast, along with other overseas offices in the Baker McKenzie network.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to advance their career within Legal Project Management. The role's purpose is to specifically provide high quality support on a variety of matters supported by the Firm's dedicated Legal Project Management team. Matters supported might be multi-jurisdictional in nature and involve large Baker & McKenzie client teams. The role will also provide support for internal Legal Project Management team initiatives.
You will need strong organisational, attention to detail and time management skills along with the ability to be flexible in your approach in order to succeed in this role. We are open minded about background, but would welcome applicants who have gained experience within professional services (i.e. accountancy, telecoms, banks or legal).
General Legal Project Management Team Support
- Development (under initial supervision) and maintenance of client team specific and LPM-team specific collaboration sites (developed using MS SharePoint)
- Supporting client team access, entering and updating content and data within document repositories, databases, calendar/events, action items, databases, etc.
- Support co-ordination of regular LPM calls and meetings, and disseminate materials as appropriate
- Contribute to the development of LPM-related assets as appropriate
- Assist legal project managers prepare training materials as appropriate (including intranet materials and occasional departmental sessions)
Fee tracking and monitoring for supported client matters
- Assist Project Managers with project planning, scoping, fee estimating and budget preparation, fee and scope management and status reporting
- Co-ordination with the billing team to ensure that accurate financial reporting is being received
- Preparing and managing client status reports in Excel/ other systems as required
Other client-specific activities
- Co-ordination and input into planning, process and other key Project Management template documents for a specific client matter
- Build relationships with fee earner groups and/or a number of external service providers
Our Legal Project Management function is increasingly becoming a key strategic offering to our clients. This is a result of our successful delivery model which offers a hybrid mixture of strategic and tactical project management support. We are investing more time considering the most efficient approach to matters with the project management team being involved at the earliest stages of planning.
While it is exciting times for legal project management at Baker McKenzie, we still have more we want to achieve, and innovations and technology are moving fast providing more opportunities. To maintain our role as pioneers in real LPM, we are looking to bring in new talent to increase our reach across the firm and to increase the pace of this positive change.
Key skills and Experience required
- Relevant degree with 2.1 classification or above preferred
- 2 years+ working experience
- Strong technical skills (experience with SharePoint an advantage)
- Highly numerate. Competency in Excel. Ability to manage large amounts of complex, imperfect data sets (for fees analysis and reporting)
- Poise and patience under pressure; strong time management skills with the ability to multi-task
- Attention to detail and organisation is key along with an approach that ensures that our internal team brand is highly regarded
- Consistently demonstrates administrative competencies to the highest level
- Focus on collaborative working and always on internal efficiency
- Highly flexible in your approach and with an interest in providing solutions
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Able to contribute to a vibrant team spirit
- Demonstrable interest in, and understanding of, fundamental project management concepts and of law firm / professional services project management approaches
- Background in consultancy, professional service firms and/or legal practice management might be helpful
- Formal Project Management qualification (e.g. PRINCE2 or PMP) an advantage
- Previous professional services sector experience preferred
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 78 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2016 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2016: currently ranked 57th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2017: currently ranked 7th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or email.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Officer on 020 7072 5731 or email.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.