To manage and execute legal content projects, training and knowledge initiatives for the SCM Sub- Group within the context of the Firm's knowledge strategy.
About The Group
The SCM Sub-Group forms part of a wider Baker McKenzie's Banking & Finance group (the "B&F Group") with over 500 lawyers. The B&F Group is known for its strengths in the areas of real estate finance, acquisition finance, trade and export finance, project finance, securitisation, derivatives, financial services regulatory and restructuring and insolvency.
The SCM Sub-Group covers securitisation, debt capital markets, corporate trust and derivatives and has extensive experience in innovative structures and regularly advises corporates, leading financial institutions, investment banks, rating agencies and corporate trustees as well as originators, arrangers and sponsors of securitisation transactions on a wide range of UK and international securitisation and repackaging transactions, commercial paper conduits, derivative structures and other structured transactions, across a wide range of asset classes.
To make first-class Structured Capital Markets (SCM) knowledge easily available to lawyers in London and globally, increasing the quality, consistency and/or cost-effectiveness of the advice that Baker McKenzie gives its clients, including:
Knowledge and Expertise
- Current awareness and commercial/industry knowhow. Keep abreast and provide regular updates on key developments impacting the SCM Sub-Group, including co-ordinating attendance at industry calls and meetings (e.g. AFME, ISDA, ICMSA) and acting as a contact point for communication with those organisations. Apply an understanding of key clients' industries and businesses to all activity. Work with other PGs and IGs to provide the most holistic legal, commercial and industry knowhow possible. Leverage industry periodicals and media to enhance industry knowledge. Involve self with industry bodies, including by coordinating attendance at meetings and calls and by joining working groups and subcommittees
- Client-facing knowledge. Provide legal input into client-facing initiatives, including client training and legal content for proposals and other business development resources. Identify SCM Sub-Group hot topics and write, commission and deliver content such as alerts, thought leadership reports and talking points. Educate self about PG/IG's Industry Key Clients
- Lawyer requests. Respond to ad hoc enquiries from lawyers with onpoint, thorough and timely answers. Develop a reputation as a go-to expert
- Knowhow development. Collect and input the SCM Sub-Group's knowhow into the firm's global repository of knowledge and populate global, multi-jurisdictional databases and resources. Identify gaps in knowhow and work to fill them, ensuring content development is progressive
- Training. Identify the SCM Sub-Group's training needs. Meet training needs by delivering, participating in and promoting training. Leverage firm's resources and processes to produce training materials and courses efficiently and of the highest possible quality
- Precedents. Draft, develop and automate the SCM Sub-Group's precedents and other legal content
- Policy initiatives and capacity-building. Participate in and respond to policy consultations and regulatory developments
- • Relationships. Promote and identify ways to strengthen the SCM Sub-Group's knowledge culture. Build lasting relationships throughout the firm through collaboration, mutual respect and a reputation for competence. Advocate and be a positive spokesperson for Knowledge. Nurture relationships with trainees and junior lawyers. Support diversity and inclusion, CSR and pro bono activities
- Operations and innovation. Proactively seek ways to improve your own and team's service and efficiency and contribute to best practices. Actively participate in Knowledge projects
- Systems. Support and drive adoption of Knowledge systems. Take ownership of delivery. Schedule one-on-one meetings and presentations to promote Knowledge systems
- Strategy, alignment and integration. Understand and promote the SCM Sub-Group's and the B&F Group's business and Knowledge plans. Structure time and priorities in accordance with the Group's business and Knowledge plans and provide input into them
About The Team
The Knowledge function is a global team of nearly 300 professionals, including Knowledge Lawyers, Information & Research team members, and a variety of other functional specialists. Our purpose is to help the Firm deliver better legal solutions by producing and making easily accessible high quality, relevant legal information for lawyers and clients. In pursuance of this high-level goal, our focus is on three key, strategic areas:
- Content. We create, collect and make available market-leading content in the form of precedents, sample documents, practice notes, training materials and other knowhow for our lawyers and clients to use, ensuring that this is regularly reviewed and, where relevant, updated so that it remains current.
- Systems. We work with our IT colleagues to design, develop and build user-friendly but flexible platforms to store knowhow and deliver it intuitively to our lawyers and clients in a timely and effective way, adopting common systems across all offices and practice/industry groups.
- Culture. We strive to establish Knowledge as a core part of every lawyer's role, engaging actively with all lawyers in the Firm and encouraging them to share their own knowhow and expertise with colleagues as openly as possible. We also adopt a "one team" culture within the Knowledge Community across the network, ensuring that all team members are aligned with our global strategy and approach. Our content must be local, but our systems, policies and processes should, wherever possible, be global.
You will report to the Lead Knowledge Lawyer for the B&F Group and your clients are the partners and lawyers in the SCM Sub-Group, as well as practice group lawyers who have expertise relevant to the SCM Sub-Group. You will receive day-to-day project assignments and overall direction from the B&F Group's Lead Knowledge Lawyer as well as the SCM Sub-Group's chair and steering committee.
You must liaise closely with other members of the Professional and Business Services team – especially within the Knowledge function – to ensure that Knowledge projects and initiatives are carried out consistently with the firm’s overall business objectives and its Knowledge strategy.
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2018 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2019: currently ranked 10th
- The Lawyer: The Global 200 2018: ranked 4th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18: Five awards:
- Best International Firm for Women in Business Law
- Most Innovative International Firm
- Best International Firm for Talent Management
- Best in UK
- Beatriz Araújo won Best in Corporate Governance
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or email.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renfroth, Recruitment Officer, on 020 7072 5731 or email.
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Law degree
- Current license to practise law (or eligibility for one) in England & Wales
- Substantial experience as a practising lawyer with direct involvement in securitisation and/or structured finance. The ideal candidate will also have derivatives and/or corporate trust experience
- Excellent English language skills (verbal and written) and the confidence to communicate in a multi-cultural, multi-level environment
- Experience working directly with senior counterparts on strategy and execution
- Excellent time management and organising skills; ability to prioritise and manage time to meet deadlines
- Strong word processing and spreadsheet skills
- Experience in or willingness to learn document automation and other legal tech
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.