The London Employment practice requires experienced Knowledge Lawyers to play a key a role in driving the knowledge strategy across the practice. The Knowledge Lawyer will manage and execute legal content projects, training and knowledge initiatives for the Group within the context of the Firm's knowledge strategy
Permanent, part-time (3 or 4 days a week) or full time (5 days).
About The Group
Baker McKenzie's Employment & Compensation practice is one of the largest employment and compensation practices in the world. The Group is a team of over 700 employment attorneys across 47 countries and works closely together to provide a solution across multiple jurisdictions and cultures providing customized service offerings on all HR areas. The Group works closely with some of the world's leading organizations and has experience dealing with every possible HR and employment challenge including complex multijurisdictional projects and transactions, business change projects or day-to-day HR advice. The Group is the fourth largest practice in the Firm and one of its fastest growing. Baker McKenzie is the only firm to be ranked band 1 for Employment by Chambers Global.
Our London team consists of more than 30 dedicated employment lawyers. We also work closely with our dedicated group of Employee Benefits lawyers and our Immigration and Pensions Departments. Working with both HR and in-house legal teams on day to day employment queries forms a significant part of our practice. Our lawyers also have recognised leading edge technical capabilities in areas such as discrimination, collective rights and workplace change (including TUPE, mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, outsourcing, collective consultation, trade union issues and EWCs), litigation in the employment tribunals and appellate courts, High Court litigation and data privacy.
We are known for being commercial advisers with the experience and knowledge to deliver cost-effective, decisive and pragmatic advice. Our consistent first tier ranking in the legal directories reflects our determination to deliver the best possible results and outcomes for our clients. We achieve this by investing in development of our team of outstanding individuals, maintaining our leading edge expertise and working in close partnership with our clients. We believe our broad client base enables us to bring a different perspective and give more rounded advice to employers across different sectors.
Our Knowledge Lawyers are key members of the team, keeping the department and its clients up to date with legal developments and helping to drive forward our strategic priorities and thought leadership campaigns.
To make first-class Employment & Compensation knowledge from UK easily available to lawyers, increasing the quality, consistency and/or cost-effectiveness of the advice that Baker McKenzie gives its clients, including:
Knowledge and Expertise
- Precedents. Draft, develop and automate the Group's precedents and other legal content
- Current awareness and commercial/industry knowhow. Keep abreast and provide regular updates on key developments impacting the Group. Apply an understanding of key clients' industries and businesses to all activity.
- Lawyer requests. Respond to ad hoc enquiries from lawyers
- Knowhow development. Collect and input the Group's knowhow into the firm's global repository of knowledge and populate global, multi-jurisdictional databases and resources. Identify gaps in knowhow and work to fill them, ensuring content development is progressive
- Training. Identify the Group's training needs and meet them by delivering, participating in and promoting training
- Client-facing knowledge. Provide legal input into client-facing initiatives, including client training and legal content for proposals and other business development resources. Identify Group hot topics and write, commission and deliver content
Relationships. Promote and identify ways to strengthen the Group's knowledge culture. Build lasting relationships throughout the firm through collaboration, mutual respect and a reputation for competence. Advocate and be a positive spokesperson for Knowledge.
- Operations and innovation. Proactively seek ways to improve your own and team's service and efficiency and contribute to best practices. Actively participate in Knowledge projects
- Systems. Support and drive adoption of Knowledge systems. Take ownership of delivery
- Strategy, alignment and integration. Understand and promote the Group's business and Knowledge plans
Some travel may be required.
About The Team
The Knowledge function is a global team of nearly 300 professionals, including Knowledge Lawyers, Information & Research team members, and a variety of other functional specialists. Our purpose is to help the Firm deliver better legal solutions by producing and making easily accessible high quality, relevant legal information for lawyers and clients. In pursuance of this high-level goal, our focus is on three key, strategic areas:
- Content. We create, collect and make available market-leading content in the form of precedents, sample documents, practice notes, training materials and other knowhow for our lawyers and clients to use, ensuring that this is regularly reviewed and, where relevant, updated so that it remains current.
- Systems. We work with our IT colleagues to design, develop and build user-friendly but flexible platforms to store knowhow and deliver it intuitively to our lawyers and clients in a timely and effective way, adopting common systems across all offices and practice/industry groups.
- Culture. We strive to establish Knowledge as a core part of every lawyer's role, engaging actively with all lawyers in the Firm and encouraging them to share their own knowhow and expertise with colleagues as openly as possible. We also adopt a "one team" culture within the Knowledge Community across the network, ensuring that all team members are aligned with our global strategy and approach. Our content must be local, but our systems, policies and processes should, wherever possible, be global.
You will report to Lead Knowledge Lawyer for Group.
Your key relationships are the partners and lawyers in the Group, as well as practice group lawyers who have expertise relevant to the Group. You will receive day-to-day project assignments and overall direction from the Group's Lead Knowledge Lawyer as well as the Group's chair and steering committee.
You must liaise closely with other members of the Professional and Business Services team – especially within the Knowledge function – to ensure that Knowledge projects and initiatives are carried out consistently with the firm’s overall business objectives and its Knowledge strategy.
About Baker McKenzie
Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organisation, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people -- regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age -- to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Email
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, please contact in confidence, Gareth Newbery via Email or on 0207 072 5743
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Law degree
- Current license to practice law (or eligibility for one)
- Substantial experience as a practicing lawyer with direct involvement in the Employment & Compensation area
- Excellent English language skills (verbal and written) and the confidence to communicate in a multi-cultural, multi-level environment
- Experience working directly with senior counterparts on strategy and execution
- Excellent time management and organizing skills; ability to prioritise and manage time to meet deadlines
- Strong word processing and spreadsheet skills
- Experience in or willingness to learn document automation and other legal tech
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion