The London Corporate department provides comprehensive M&A, capital markets, projects and project finance, company law, board level compliance and corporate governance advice to a wide range of clients including PLCs, financial institutions and subsidiaries of major multinational corporates. Our key differentiator is our Lawyers who collaborate across borders, markets and industries around the globe. Our Lawyers embrace new ideas and emerging technologies to give businesses confidence in these uncertain times. Our clients include nearly all of the world’s 100 largest public companies and more than three-quarters of the Fortune 500.
The London Corporate team has over 150 fee earners and business professionals, and with 1,300 M&A lawyers in 77 offices globally, we have one of the largest and most active M&A practices in the world.
Our fast-growing London EMI group currently comprises 9 Partners and 19 Associates. The team has enjoyed a string of recent high-profile successes, including panel appointments to several FTSE 100 energy and resources companies. The group forms a core part of the wider London Corporate department, which is the largest within the office and sits at the heart of the firm's business.
We are currently seeking an ambitious and talented corporate newly qualified lawyer looking for a challenging and rewarding new role. The role will involve:
- A broad range of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, projects and project finance work in the EMI sectors
- Advising and supporting leading multi-national corporates
- Developing relationships with clients, including understanding clients' businesses, economic drivers, markets, and sectors in order to deliver relevant and commercial advice and contribute to growing the relationship and winning further work.
- Engaging in business development activities, and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work.
- Working as part of a team and taking an active role in sharing knowledge and experience.
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility that they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation.
- There are regular opportunities for secondments with clients.
- Posting to other offices under the firm's associate transfer programme is also a possibility.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- A newly qualified lawyer with excellent academics credentials
- Experience of corporate M&A, project development and/or project finance work from a leading city firm
- Commerciality and demonstrable business development experience
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
- High work standards
- Flexible work practices
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- A keenness to learn
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2016 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2016: currently ranked 57th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2017: currently ranked 7th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or via email
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Mona Rangar Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5739 or via email
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.