Work with the Legal Project Managers, supporting on the successful delivery of tasks within both client- and internally-facing projects using established and new tools and processes.
- Support senior members of the LPM team on multiple projects with competing deadlines in coordination with other LPM team members
- Liaise with the client and the Firm's client matter team, as well as the Firm's specialist departments and offices worldwide
- Perform assigned tasks with accuracy and timeliness; take responsibility for completing recurring tasks without prompting Prioritize workload (seeking clarification from project leads on project priorities), anticipating and escalating any foreseeable issues as well as availability, and remain aware of dependencies
- Build and use charts, timelines and other visuals effectively; suggest improvements
- Work with senior team members to implement solutions to improve processes
- Accurately estimate and manage time required to support coordination work
- Effectively and appropriately hand off work to other Professional Business Services (PBS) teams, engaging with them to clarify requirements and ensure a successful transition
- Support the post-matter review process for key matters and identify areas of improvement in practice area processes through discussions with project teams
- Triage help requests and raise 'marginal' requests with senior team members to determine LPM position on task involvement
- Improve on standard delivery solutions on a given project; identify and propose to Associate Directors of LPM any future needs and improvements to the LPM framework
- Identify opportunities for new service delivery and support analysis and design workshops
- Collate information for project updates and adapt report templates for new projects
- Support scope clarification and management efforts on projects
- Identify own training needs and actively participate in training related to LPM topics
- Tailor and reuse existing templates and make suggestions for template improvements
- Contribute to BM's Innovation Strategy; become a subject matter expert on LPM-relevant technology and standardized processes: evangelize, advise, train, apply to projects and support refinement
- Support implementation of existing and new technology to meet project requirements and to encourage LPM and Legal team uptake
- Source information at LPM request for proposals and pitches
- Build network of professional colleagues across the range of PBS and legal functions, including Knowledge Management, Business Development, Finance, and IT and with external stakeholders
- Offer ad hoc support and PM expertise to non-LPM initiatives
This role may require some regional and some global travel driven by client requirements and other internal and external events related to the Professional Business Services function.
Actively support the project management of strategic matters and portfolios of matters to improve quality, profitability, speed, tractability, and transparency with an emphasis on repeatability, scalability, and pace. Drive through the same benefits to matters that are not actively staffed with LPMs, assisting with infusing project management discipline through consultations, trainings, templates, workflows, checklists, and automation. Remain agile in bringing appropriate focus on localisation, technology and process improvement. The core teams within Services are:
- Business Management
- Legal Operations
- Pricing Strategy
- Legal Project Management Global eDiscovery and Data Advisory
- Service Design
- Alternative Legal Services
You will report to: Senior Legal Project Manager
Your direct reports: N/A
- Senior Legal Project Managers
- Legal Project Managers
- Teams within the Services function such as Business Management, Pricing, Global eDiscovery, Alternative Legal Services and Service Design
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor's Degree (law or business degree preferred)
- Formal project management qualification (desirable)
- Understanding of/experience working in large complex organizations ideally in a law firm or professional services firm
- Basic knowledge of relevant IT packages: e.g. Document Management Systems, Project Extranets (e.g. SharePoint) or other collaborative project management tools. Other LegalTech knowledge and interest is desirable
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Excel), and of financial systems and reports
- Strong communication and relationship-building skills
- Desire to work collaboratively with senior-level professionals to help them succeed in meeting their objectives
- Ability to build matter budgets with guidance
- Ability to work independently with a willingness to work flexibly and hands-on to achieve project objectives
- Basic knowledge of data visualisation and associated tools (e.g. Excel charting, Tableau, PowerBI, Visio)
- Ability to analyse datasets to identify trends, issues and gaps
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements
- Demonstrated attention to detail to ensure quality of outputs
- Emerging competency in continuous improvement, change management, flexible approach and exceeding expectations
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Suggests non-standard alternative ideas and approaches that demonstrate some lateral thought and "thinking outside the box"
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is selfreliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Revels in latitude, seizes and runs with opportunities even where this requires operating at a level ahead of commensurate experience and knowledge, viewing these occasions positively
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2019 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Acritas recognized the Firm as the world's strongest legal brand for the ninth year in a row.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- The Firm was honoured to be one of Stonewall's 2019 Top Global Employers and the top Global LGBT+ Network of the Year, as well as one of only 10 employers to feature in the 'Top Trans
- Employer' listing for a second consecutive year.
- Social Mobility Employer Index, 2019 - ranked 5th
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 70725731 or Vanessa.Renforth@Bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA - since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.