To work alone or support Senior LPMs to secure, design and lead on the process control of projects. Delegate and manage work of the Legal Project Coordinators. Ensure successful delivery of tasks within both client- and internally-facing projects bringing solutions using established and new tools and processes.
This role can be based either in London, Amsterdam, Brussels or Frankfurt.
- Manage multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Scope and manage specific client-facing projects
- Manage own case load and that of more junior legal project management resources on projects
- Liaise with the client and the Firm's client project team, as well as the Firm's specialist departments and offices worldwide, along with external stakeholders
- Use (and assist others in using) pricing tools and analyse the outputs, bringing in the Pricing Strategy Team as required
- Support the Principal/Lead Associate in defining matter scope, track and manage changes
- Capture explicit and implicit client requirements/ preferences and design the project approach accordingly
- Identify, quantify, record and manage risks/issues in projects including mitigation strategies
- Prepare, manage and report on suitably-detailed project plans to internal and client matter teams
- Support whole-project budgeting, monitor and report on costs and fees on an ongoing basis both internally and externally
- Prepare internal and client status reports and provide timely updates to team leaders on potential risks/issues identified
- Support the matter review process for key matters and identify areas of improvement in practice area processes through discussions with fee earner
- Be creative, solve problems and improve on standard delivery solutions on a given project
- Identify future needs / opportunities for new service delivery and lead on analysis and design workshops
- Work with the Global LPM Leadership Team to define, enhance and integrate a single set of project management standards, processes, methodologies and tools to improve the efficiency of LPM
- Roll out improvements and solutions through individual attorney coaching and training sessions
- Work with internal stakeholders to secure and define LPM role on projects; move matter work into or out of LPM team where appropriate
- Assign priorities across large task lists, identify and communicate dependencies, and capture items in project timelines
- Disaggregate routine tasks and reassign by leveraging Alternative Legal Services and other non-traditional resourcing models on projects
- Clarify and communicate roles and responsibilities of the project team and all internal/external stakeholders
- Actively contribute to the Firm’s Innovation and LegalTech strategy and localize and leverage these on projects, finding ways to encourage team uptake
- Become a subject matter expert on given tech and standardized processes: evangelize, advise, train, apply to projects and support refinement
- Lead portions of LPM training for internal audiences
- Design end-to-end, matter specific portals for small to medium projects
- Integrate with allocated practice areas/ service lines; become comfortable with legal concepts / terminology / principles
- Strengthen network of professional colleagues across the range of PBS (including Knowledge Management, Business Development, Finance, and IT), and legal teams, carving out a role for LPM on new projects
- Build strong client relationships both with client in-house lawyers and Legal Ops professionals; contribute to business development opportunities by leveraging this client knowledge
- Offering PM expertise to non-LPM initiatives
This role requires some regional and some global travel driven by client requirements and other internal and external events related to the Professional Business Services function.
About the Team
The Firm’s market-leading legal project management (“LPM”) function drives differentiation, an enhanced user experience and profit enablement on client work.
Collaborating closely with the other fee-earning professional units—the Intellectual Property Service Unit, Global eDiscovery and Data Advisory, and Alternative Legal Services—as part of the Reinvent Initiative, to best meet client needs—profitably, and at scale.
Under the Director’s leadership, the LPM team will continue to integrate more closely with Firm lawyers on the day-to-day planning, execution, and tracking of fee earning legal work as the Firm keeps pace with evolving client expectations re the multi-disciplinary delivery of legal services. LPM will also help Firm lawyers take full advantage of the many other resources at their disposal (e.g., legal tech, Alternative Legal Services) to ensure client work is performed in the most effective, efficient, and profitable manner. Finally, LPMs will work closely with peer functions to ensure that, where feasible and beneficial, bespoke backend support that LPM has previously been asked to provide is systematized and scaled to meet the needs of a broader group of Firm partners.
This role will report to the Senior LPM, EMEA Team.
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- Associate Director, LPM Americas
- Associate Director, LPM for other regions / Service Delivery
- Teams within the Services function such as Business Management, Pricing, Global eDiscovery, Alternative Legal Services and Service Design
About the Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor's Degree
- Formal project management qualification of Prince 2 Practitioner or equivalent (required) and LSS Green Belt (desirable)
- Formal project management qualification of Prince 2 Agile, Management of Portfolios (MoP) or PMP (desirable)
- Strong experience in project management roles
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time
- Understanding of/ experience working in large complex organizations, ideally in a law firm or professional services firm
- Knowledge/ experience of relevant IT packages: e.g. Document Management Systems, Project Extranets (e.g. SharePoint) or other collaborative project management tools, Other LegalTech knowledge desirable
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Visio, Excel, and of financial systems and reports
- Experience of influencing or coaching within a professional services environment desirable
- Outstanding communication and relationship building skills
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work collaboratively with senior-level professionals to help them succeed in meeting their business development objectives
- Ability to work independently and willingness to work hands-on to achieve objectives in a relatively “flat” organizational structure
- Ability to analyse matter-level performance including profitability
- Advanced knowledge and experience of data manipulation tools (e.g. Excel) and experience with visualisation tools (e.g. Tableau)
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in compiling executive summaries and status reports for consumption by attorneys and clients
- Ability to identify and secure future internal project management opportunities (including process improvement analysis or follow-on client work)
- Ability to cover a wide subject-matter range and difficulty level of tasks from thinking strategically to troubleshooting detail
- Ability to understand the impact of matter finance decisions on profitability in order to understand and independently calculate key financial metrics
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements
- Strong competency in continuous improvement, change management, flexible approach and exceeding expectations.
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA - since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.