As part of a best in class regional Partner Recruitment team, working closely with and providing support to the Senior Lateral Partner Recruitment Manager, EMEA / Recruitment Leadership, to deliver partner recruitment activities and ensure a first class lateral partner recruitment process and candidate experience.
This role can be located either in London or Belfast.
Lateral Partner Recruitment
- Work closely with the Senior Lateral Partner Recruitment Manager, EMEA, Recruitment Leadership and Partner Recruiting team to execute best in class processes around lateral partner and Counsel hires for the EMEA region
- Assist with developing (and sharing, as required) recruiting materials, collateral and briefing papers for prospective lateral candidates and interviewers
- Support the Senior Lateral Partner Recruitment Manager, EMEA / Recruitment Leadership and Partner Recruiting team with lateral partner documentation, preparing papers and communications, including as part of the Firm approvals and voting processes
- Manage the final approval process in relation to all Counsel hires across the region in a timely and efficient manner, ensuring that the process has been completed accurately with all necessary stakeholders having been consulted
- Ensure that feedback is received, promptly, following interviews and collated (working with Coordinator / E2E)
- Build strong relationships with internal stakeholders including Regional Practice Group Leaders (RPGLs), Regional Finance, Business Managers and Talent Managers across the region to develop candidate papers and financials for each candidate, ensuring that the Partner team has all of the relevant information required to support and progress the process in a timely manner
- Working closely with the Senior Lateral Partner Recruitment Manager, EMEA / Recruitment Leadership to proactively develop and manage relations with preferred external search firms and participate in search firm meetings, as required, to promote the Firm and lateral opportunities, sharing recruitment collateral and maintaining the Firm's brand as an employer of choice, whilst ensuring a first class recruitment experience
- Prepare, maintain and distribute, as required, relevant partner recruitment reports and status updates, such as the EMEA+ ManCom Partner Pipeline report, ensuring that internal clients are kept fully informed and have a high quality recruitment experience
- Ensure effective lateral Partner tracking processes, including ATS management, tracking of lateral submissions and working with E2E team to enable quality MI, data reporting and status updates, including preparing relevant reporting on lateral partner and Counsel hires
- Review Terms of Business, ensuring signed terms are in place with agreed search firms, as required, in line with agreed Baker McKenzie terms. Review and process search invoices with support from E2E. Prepare search firm agreements, as required and ensure the effective storage of all search firm terms on the Firm's internal document management system
- Ensure effective coordination and collaboration with the Recruitment Coordinator/s / PAs and E2E team across all requests, including the scheduling of lateral partner interviews, and other areas of responsibility to ensure support is seamless, efficient and provides high quality client and candidate experience
- Coordinate with EMEA Talent teams, the Communications team and other relevant stakeholders to ensure successful on-boarding, pre-partnership screening and pre-arrival orientation activity is coordinated for incoming laterals. to ensure a first-class candidate experience
- Maintain records of all candidate proposals, offer information, KPIs etc. and ensure all documents are appropriately stored on the Firm's document management system
- Support the preparation for and as needed, the coordination of internal and external meetings with stakeholders, recruiting professionals and search firms
- Work with Senior Lateral Partner Recruitment Manager, EMEA (as work stream lead for Partner Recruitment) in the delivery of relevant projects in support of Regional and Global strategy and objectives
- Be actively involved in other recruitment sub-streams and generally contribute to functional activity and best practice
- Support the Lateral Counsel recruitment and approvals process, as required
- Ensure that all recruitment processes and communications support the Firm’s brand and that the Firm provides a world-class candidate experience throughout the recruitment and selection process
- Ensure that recruitment activities and initiatives support and are aligned to the Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) strategy of the Firm and that D&I is embedded in all processes. Support implementation of innovative strategies to attract diverse candidates
None (except for occasional attendance at requested Firm meetings)
About The Team
The Firm’s People function has responsibility for recruiting, supporting and developing all of the Firm’s people, including our Partners, Lawyers and Professional & Business Services, working closely with the Firm’s leadership to design and deliver the Firm’s people strategy, building on the Firm’s core commitments to collaboration, excellence and inclusivity. The function includes:
- Talent Management
- Recruitment & Mobility
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Leadership & Learning
- Careers & Performance
- Partner Services
- Total Rewards
This role will report to the Senior Lateral Partner Recruitment Manager, EMEA.
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- Director of Recruitment, EMEA & Associate Director of Recruitment, EMEA+
- In-market Recruitment colleagues and TM Managers
- End to End resource / Coordinator/s
- Sponsoring partners, Regional Practice Group Leads ("RPGL"); Office Managing Partners and Hiring / Approval Committees
- Business Managers
- External search firms/headhunters
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor's degree
- Significant demonstrable legal recruiting experience in a large law firm, preferably with multi-office and in support of a diverse base of legal practices (experience of lateral and partner level hiring strongly preferred)
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, with proven ability to work with and manage relationships at the most senior levels across an organisation
- First class written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to demonstrate sound judgement and ability to work independently
- Proficient with MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint); Experience with recruitment systems such as CV Mail or Success Factors
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to meet deadlines and multi-task in a matrix, fast-paced, professional services environment
- Conscientious, flexible and with excellent attention to detail
- Strong client service and delivery mind-set with a desire to constantly drive forward all recruitment processes to ensure good progress is being made at all times
- Ability to maintain a calm, professional manner at all times, even when under pressure, acting as an ambassador for the Function and the Firm
- Ability to work collaboratively and to build effective networks across all levels of the business
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2019 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Acritas recognized the Firm as the world's strongest legal brand for the ninth year in a row.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- The Firm was honoured to be one of Stonewall's 2019 Top Global Employers and the top Global LGBT+ Network of the Year, as well as one of only 10 employers to feature in the 'Top Trans Employer' listing for a second consecutive year.
- Social Mobility Employer Index, 2019 - ranked 5th
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 70725731 or Vanessa.Renforth@Bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA - since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.