The Knowledge Lawyer for Banking & Finance (the "Group") will manage and execute legal content projects, training and knowledge initiatives for the Group with a particular focus on real estate finance ("REF") and general banking & finance within the context of the Group's knowledge and marketing strategy. While sitting in the general Banking & Finance Group, this role is intended to offer specialist English law support to the REF sub-group. They will be responsible for making first-class Group knowledge easily available to lawyers, increasing the quality, consistency and/or cost-effectiveness of the advice that Baker McKenzie gives its clients.
Knowledge and Expertise
- Client-facing knowledge. Produce high quality and professional client-facing initiatives, including client training and legal content for proposals and other business development resources. Identify Group hot topics and write, commission and deliver content such as alerts, thought leadership reports and talking points. Educate self about PG/IG's Industry Key Clients.
- Current awareness and commercial/industry knowhow. Keep abreast and provide regular updates on key developments impacting the Group. Apply an understanding of key clients' industries and businesses to all activity. Work with other PGs and IGs to provide the most holistic legal, commercial and industry knowhow possible. Leverage industry periodicals and media to enhance industry knowledge. Involve self with industry bodies, including by coordinating attendance at meetings and calls and by joining working groups and subcommittees.
- Precedents. Draft, develop and, where relevant, automate the Group's precedents and other legal content.
- Lawyer requests. Respond to ad hoc enquiries from lawyers with on-point, thorough and timely answers. Develop a reputation as a go-to expert.
- Knowhow development. Collect and input the Group's knowhow into the firm's global repository of knowledge and populate global, multi-jurisdictional databases and resources. Identify gaps in knowhow and work to fill them, ensuring content development is progressive.
- Training. Identify the Group's training needs. Meet training needs by delivering, participating in and promoting training. Leverage firm resources and processes to produce training materials and courses efficiently and of the highest possible quality
- Policy initiatives and capacity-building. Participate in and respond to policy consultations and regulatory development.
- Relationships. Promote and identify ways to strengthen the Group's knowledge culture. Build lasting relationships throughout the firm through collaboration, mutual respect and a reputation for competence. Advocate and be a positive spokesperson for Knowledge. Nurture relationships with trainees and junior lawyers. Support diversity and inclusion, CSR and pro bono activities.
- Operations and innovation. Proactively seek ways to improve your own and team's service and efficiency and contribute to best practices. Actively participate in Knowledge projects.
- Systems. Support and drive adoption of Knowledge systems. Take ownership of delivery. Schedule one-on-one meetings and presentations to promote Knowledge systems.
- Strategy, alignment and integration. Understand and promote the Group's business and Knowledge plans. Structure time and priorities in accordance with the Group's business and Knowledge plans.
- Law degree
- Ability to produce high-quality written material fit for publication to clients and the market
- Current license to practice law (or eligibility for one)
- Substantial experience as a practicing lawyer with direct involvement in a wide range of banking and finance transactions
- Extensive experience as a practicing lawyer with direct involvement in real estate finance in Europe and in the UK with strong familiarity of the LMA REF documentation suite and typical market terms in the REF space
- Excellent English language skills (verbal and written) and the confidence to communicate in a multi-cultural, multi-level environment
- Experience working directly with senior counterparts on strategy and execution
- Excellent time management and organizing skills; ability to prioritise and manage time to meet deadlines
- Strong word processing skills
- Experience in or willingness to learn document automation and other legal tech
Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organisation, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people - regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age - to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.