To manage and execute legal content projects, training and knowledge initiatives for the Private Equity practice group within the context of the firm's knowledge strategy.
To make first-class knowledge easily available to lawyers, increasing the quality, consistency and/or cost-effectiveness of the advice that Baker McKenzie gives its clients. Including:
- Precedents. Draft, develop and automate Private Equity precedents
- Work product. Collect and input the group's work product into the firm's global repository of knowledge and populate global, multi-jurisdictional databases and resources
- Private Equity skills training. Prepare, support and deliver training programs and develop training materials that are aligned with the firm's training strategy
- Advice and Current Awareness. Support the Private Equity practice with legal expertise on an as-needed basis including regularly drafting alerts on legal and market/deal developments and acting as editor/writer/researcher of the firm's publications
- Business development/thought leadership/profile. Assist in the development of thought leadership initiatives, drafting articles and legal content for proposals or other business development resources
- KM strategy. Assist in development and implementation of the group's knowledge plan in line with the firm's knowledge strategy; support, implement and communicate the firm's knowledge strategy to the group and actively participate in the firm's knowledge projects and initiatives
- Relationship building. Build relationships with key stakeholders in London and build greater KM community connections in the EMEA region and globally
- Operational enhancements. Improve efficiency and quality of the delivery of our Private Equity legal services. Actively contribute to operational enhancement initiatives, particularly with respect to offshore service centres/alternative timekeepers, integrated use of project managers and other technology tools
Travel requirements: Some travel may be required
About the team
The Knowledge function is a Firm-wide team of nearly 300 professionals, including Knowledge Lawyers, Information & Research professionals, and a variety of other functional specialists. The Knowledge function helps the Firm deliver better legal solutions by producing and providing easy access to high quality, relevant legal information for both lawyers and clients. The focus is on the following areas:
- Content: creating, collecting and providing access to market-leading precedents, sample documents, practice notes, training materials and other knowhow for our lawyers and clients, reviewing and updating regularly, to ensure that the content is current and market-leading
- Systems: working with the Technology function to design, develop and build user-friendly and flexible platforms to store knowhow and deliver it intuitively to lawyers and clients, adopting common systems across all offices and practice/industry groups
- Culture: striving to establish Knowledge as a core part of every lawyer's role, engaging actively with all lawyers in the Firm and encouraging them to share their own knowhow and expertise with colleagues as openly as possible; embracing a "one team" culture within the Firm's Knowledge community ensuring that all team members create and develop high quality local content while being aligned with our global strategy and approach
About the candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Law degree
- Current license to practice law (or eligibility for one); preferably admitted in a Commonwealth jurisdiction
- Strong post-qualification experience as a practicing lawyer with direct involvement in Private Equity transactions, particularly cross-border deals
- Excellent English language skills (verbal and written) and the confidence to communicate in a multi-cultural, multi-level environment
- Experience working directly with senior counterparts on strategy and execution
- Excellent time management and organizing skills; ability to prioritise and manage time to meet deadlines
- Experience in or willingness to learn document automation and other legal tech
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business
- Law Awards 2019.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager on +442070725752 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.