To be a business lead and expert for document automation (and from time to time legal content development) and its strategy, roll-out, implementation, adoption, use and development to ensure best in class knowledge. The role-holder will act as the trusted advisor to Knowledge and business stakeholders across the Baker McKenzie network to ensure that the Firm's legal content automation and development solutions deliver internal and external products and services tailored to their requirements, whilst establishing and maintaining policies, best practices, quality and the mitigation of risk.
- Work closely with the Senior Manager for Content Development, Technology teams, Knowledge Service Owners and Knowledge Lawyers across the Firm to define and deliver the content automation and development strategy and roadmap, ensuring alignment with the Firm and Knowledge strategies so that content automation and development continues to evolve, meet the needs of stakeholders and add real value to the business
- Engage with internal and external clients and key stakeholders to encourage them to achieve greater efficiencies through the automation of legal documents, working to identify opportunities for document automation, present the business benefits and return on investment and see projects through to completion, using appropriate change management strategies
- Lead and manage the Center End-to-End Knowledge Content Automation team and any of the Knowledge Content team involved, monitoring their progress, quality of output and delivery of service
- Plan, design, build and test automated documents using Contract Express and as required other automation solutions for internal and external clients
- Build a cohesive Firm wide community of in-market content automators and users and content developers, ensuring attentive listening and consultation on future developments. Enable the community to act as a network of change agents educating on policy and best practice, in order to improve engagement with and the consistent use of automation and to identify requirements and opportunities for innovation and product enhancements
- Lead content automation and development projects and support and participate in appropriate global Knowledge projects. Contribute substantively by automating documents as required
Knowledge & Expertise
- Maintain and continually develop subject matter expertise with high levels of practical end-user engagement and delivery, actively aware of developments within the market, Knowledge automation systems, new practices and approaches, actioning any relevant implications and maintaining an active external network of practitioners and profile
- Understand and document the complex and evolving business requirements for content automation and development of attorneys and Knowledge professionals across the Baker McKenzie network
- Be known in the Firm as the expert and go to person for the resolution of issues and business solutions for content automation and development
Operational efficiencies, quality and risk mitigation
- Manage issues to maintain quality assurance and minimise business impact and risk, escalating any challenges in a timely manner where appropriate
- Oversee and ensure internal and external communications regarding content automation and development and ensure the development of training content to support and improve knowledge and use of automation
- Define policies, best practice and guidance for automation, analysing best practice compliance and adoption on a regular basis through robust audit and reporting processes, identifying underlying trends, gaps and opportunities for the products and services and presenting these to key stakeholders
- Support all business aspects of the content automation and development lifecycle implementation and development
- Work with Technology teams to manage product-related support, training, feedback and inquiries from users, troubleshooting and delivering continual product improvements and upgrades to content automation and development tools
- Work with Knowledge teams to ensure a high degree of engagement with lawyers and find incentives to encourage best use of, and contribution to, content automation and development
Occasional travel may be required
About The Team
The Knowledge function is a Firm-wide team of nearly 300 professionals, including Knowledge Lawyers, Information & Research professionals, and a variety of other functional specialists. The Knowledge function helps the Firm deliver better legal solutions by producing and providing easy access to high quality, relevant legal information for both lawyers and clients. The focus is on the following areas:
- Content - creating, collecting and providing access to market-leading precedents, sample documents, practice notes, training materials and other knowhow for our lawyers and clients, reviewing and updating regularly, to ensure that the content is current and market-leading
- Systems - working with the Technology function to design, develop and build user-friendly and flexible platforms to store knowhow and deliver it intuitively to lawyers and clients, adopting common systems across all offices and practice/industry groups
- Culture - striving to establish Knowledge as a core part of every lawyer's role, engaging actively with all lawyers in the Firm and encouraging them to share their own knowhow and expertise with colleagues as openly as possible; embracing a "one team" culture within the Firm's Knowledge community ensuring that all team members create and develop high quality local content while being aligned with our global strategy and approach
This role will report directly to the Senior Manager, Content Development.
The direct reports of this role are the Knowledge Content Automation Specialists/Paralegals/Analysts.
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- Knowledge Community
About the Candidate
Technical skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Current license to practice law (or eligibility for one) or other relevant degree with substantial experience in law firms
- Good understanding of Knowledge strategy and driving implementation of knowledge content automation and development solutions and best practice in a professional services environment
- Substantial experience of legal automation and experience of development of legal content
- Proven ability to effect behavioural change across an organisation and drive adoption of new tools and business processes
- Ability to understand complex, matrixed and varied business areas and their priorities
- Experience of leading and managing people and projects and change across multiple offices
- Ability to work well with others and to build strong relationships with multiple stakeholders quickly. Experience of facilitating groups
- Keen interest in technology-driven innovation in the legal industry
- An outstanding communicator who can deal confidently, tactfully and appropriately with people at all levels of the organisation. Credible and persuasive
- Comfortable working within a large and complex, matrixed environment with multiple stakeholders and interest groups as well as managing virtual teams
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Total commitment to excellence and the provision of first-class support. Willing to go the extra mile to provide outstanding client service
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2019 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Acritas recognized the Firm as the world's strongest legal brand for the ninth year in a row.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- The Firm was honoured to be one of Stonewall's 2019 Top Global Employers and the top Global LGBT+ Network of the Year, as well as one of only 10 employers to feature in the 'Top Trans Employer' listing for a second consecutive year.
- Social Mobility Employer Index, 2019 - ranked 5
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA - since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.