We are looking for a motivated and capable junior (1-2 PQE) associate to join the tech and data team our highly regarded Intellectual Property and Technology (IPTech) group at Baker McKenzie, to focus on data protection and privacy advisory work across all sectors.
The role will have the following core focus:
- Data protection / privacy advisory and compliance work for clients across all sectors, including TMT, CG&R, FinTech, Healthcare and others.
- Working as part of our top-ranked global privacy team on stand-alone data projects for global clients on strategic issues for the business.
- Working with commercial and technology teams on data and privacy issues relating to complex technology and other transactions
- Working with our corporate teams on data and privacy issues arising in significant M&A, JV and other corporate transactions.
- Data breach and ICO investigation experience is helpful, but not essential.
- Being an active part in local and regional practice and industry group activities and local, regional and global business and client development initiatives.
The role would be sponsored and supported by our wider team including partners Paul Glass and Julia Wilson, and senior associates Ben Slinn and Jo de Fonseka.
The candidate would be joining a well-established market-leading team and would have the opportunity to develop further an industry specialism or specialisms of their choice - the team has particular strengths in life sciences, financial services and telecoms.
Key Skills and Experience Required
The ideal candidate should be 1 - 2 years PQE with a strong academic track record, and have obtained experience in some or all of the following:
- Experience advising clients on a range of privacy / data protection matters, ideally in a leading UK or international law firm. Experience gained in-house within an industry-leading organisation would also be beneficial (though not essential)
- Experience working on and co-ordinating large-scale privacy compliance projects, audits and assessments
- Drafting and negotiating data processing agreements and other privacy-related contractual documents
- Drafting data protection compliance policies and procedures, privacy notices/policies and cookies notices/policies
- Advising on international data transfers
- Supporting with DSARs and other data subject requests, and data subject complaints
- Advising on direct marketing and cookie compliance
- Advising on privacy compliance in the context of AI, adtech and connected devices / Internet of Things
- Assisting with cyber incident response and breach notification requirements
- A "self-starter" who is collaborative, pragmatic, commercial and adaptable in their approach.
- Excellent oral and written communication and drafting skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for those relationships
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7052 5752 or email@example.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.