Baker McKenzie is seeking a London-based junior U.S.-qualified high yield associate to join its growing high yield team.
Our London-based debt capital markets (DCM) team (including our high yield bond (HYB) offering) currently consists of 6 partners and counsel and a team of senior associates and associates.
The team works closely with our broader Corporate Finance group - a fully integrated team of UK and US lawyers offering investment banks and corporates a full range of securities law services relating to all types of capital markets transactions. This team offers a full range of services across Debt and Equity. We address both ongoing corporate needs and extraordinary events, including regulatory matters, internal investigations and securities litigation. Our growing Corporate Finance team forms part of one of the world's largest capital markets practice.
The high yield team also works closely with our growing banking and finance and private equity teams in connection with our integrated leverage finance offering in London advising leading private equity funds and investment banks in connection with leveraged transactions.
The HYB team sits within our Corporate department, which provides skilled capital markets, M&A (public and private), private equity, projects, re-organizations, and financial services advice, alongside traditional company law, board level compliance, and corporate governance support, to a wide range of clients, including listed PLCs, financial institutions, and major multinational corporates. Our practice is broad, and much of what we do is cross-border.
Our practice is not limited by industry or jurisdiction and includes advising on all aspects of public cross-border takeovers, private acquisitions and equity capital markets transactions. We are one of the few firms on the market able to offer a full and high-quality set of corporate finance services to our clients on a cross-border basis, in connection with complex capital transactions. We regularly advise leading investment banks, top-tier sponsors and listed companies on listings, capital raisings, significant acquisitions and disposals and takeovers.
The role will involve:
- Drafting offering memorandums for high yield offerings with U.S.-style disclosure and due diligence, U.S. opinions and general U.S. securities law advice with respect to 144A and Reg S debt offerings.
- Negotiating transaction documents including Description of Notes, Purchase Agreements, Intercreditor Agreements and other key transactional documents in connection with a high yield offering. Associates will also work closely with the banking and finance team negotiating commitment papers in connection with bridge-to bond committed financing processes and incurrence based covenants on the syndicated loan side of financing transactions.
- Working closely with partners to develop client relationships, including understanding clients' businesses, economic drivers, markets, and sectors in order to deliver relevant and commercial advice and contribute to growing the relationship and winning further work.
- Engaging in business development activities, and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work.
- Working as part of a team and taking an active role in sharing knowledge and experience.
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility that they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation.
- There are regular opportunities for secondment with clients and posting to other offices under the firm's associate transfer programme is also a possibility.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- Background in US Capital markets preferred
- US qualified
- Excellent academics
- Commerciality and demonstrable business development experience
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
- High work standards
- Flexible work practices
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- A keenness to learn - intellectual curiosity
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Gareth Newbery, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5743 or Gareth.Newbery@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA - since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.