Our Banking Group is seeking a junior/mid-level Associate to join their team which currently comprises 6 partners, 1 Of Counsel, 1 professional support lawyer and 19 associates and trainees. Duties include:
- Advising clients on a wide range of matters, with a particular focus on infrastructure finance (both bank and institutional funding). Associates work in a collegiate environment, for a range of partners, and can expect a good variety of work.
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation.
- Developing relationships with clients including gaining a good knowledge of the client’s businesses, economic drivers, market and sector requirements in order to ensure advice is relevant and commercial.
- There are regular opportunities for secondments with clients. Posting to other offices under the firm's associate transfer programme is also a possibility.
- Engaging in business development activities and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work.
- Working as part of a team including assisting with the supervision of junior lawyers’ work, and taking an active part in sharing knowledge and experience with the team.
Infrastructure finance sits within the firm's broader Banking & Finance Practice which comprises over 40 lawyers specialising in 15 distinct practice areas that best match the requirements of our global client base.
The team has a wealth of experience advising on significant and innovative transactions in the infrastructure sector both domestically and internationally with recent transactions involving airports, ports, utilities, storage, rail, social infrastructure and communication.
We advise sponsors, borrowers, banks, institutional debt investors and other corporate entities on all aspects of infrastructure acquisition financings and refinancings – from origination, negotiation and documentation to closing. As a firm, we are noted for our expertise in infrastructure finance and our ability to advise on bespoke complex transactions.
The London team are an integrated part of the Firm's Global Finance group of over 500 lawyers who cover the world's key financial money centres, many of whom are regularly featured in the top tier of rankings in both Legal 500 and Chambers for Banking and Finance. Some of these entries include:
Baker McKenzie LLP is "excellent at helping clients navigate through complex multi-region financing deals" - Legal 500 UK
Baker McKenzie LLP has "a top-class practice" - Legal 500 UK
“They have a lot of resources to provide a big team. They are always well organised, highlight the right topics and are always up to speed.” - Chambers UK
“A great firm committed to a high standard of service to the client.” - Chambers UK
Key Skills and Experience Required
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
- A qualified lawyer with excellent academic credentials
- Current experience in the banking or projects department of a leading City or International firm
- Evidence of a keen interest in infrastructure allied to strong technical knowledge
- First rate technical skills needed to support the client work of the department
- Commerciality and demonstrable business development experience
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Maturity and gravitas
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
- High work standards
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- A keenness to learn
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2016 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2016: currently ranked 57th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2017: currently ranked 7th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Officer, on 020 7072 5731 or via email
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Posting Date: 11 July 2018
Closing Date: 8 August 2018
Salary: Between £75,000 and £120,000 depending on experience
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.