To work as part of a successful job share with another part-time HR Officer also working 3 days per week (with one day overlap), working closely with the HR Business Partners (HRBPs) to build and develop relationships within the business and to collectively deliver an excellent level of operational client service. Working collaboratively with their Talent team colleagues, the wider People team, and other business support functions, the HR Officers (HRO) will provide a responsive, commercial and solutions-focused approach to their client groups.
The role will form part of a team of a Talent Director, two Senior HRBPs, three HRBPs, one Senior HR Officer, three HR Officers, and one HR Coordinator.
This is an opportunity for a true job share arrangement where two individuals will share the duties and responsibilities of one full-time post, dividing the hours between them. Both individuals must commit to completing the entirety of the role as a duo.
- Working with their assigned HRBP to establish strong working relationships with Department Managers and Business Managers within the respective client groups as points of contact for people-related matters
- Providing advice to employees and managers on routine employee relations matters such as performance and capability, absence, disciplinary and grievance, changes to terms and conditions of employment, probation reviews, and flexible working applications
- Participating in the smooth running of the cyclical HR processes by supporting the London Talent Team in preparing for, arranging, and running performance and salary and bonus review meetings
- Working with respective Practice Groups in London, relevant HR contacts in other offices, and the Global Mobility Advisory Group to arrange and implement Associate Training Program (ATP) placements both to and from the London office
- Handling remote working requests and liaising with the relevant stakeholders involved in the sign-off process
- Coordinating the receiving and sending of secondees to and from clients, liaising with key stakeholders as appropriate
- Working with the Officers and HR Coordinator to seamlessly manage the new joiner and leaver process, including new qualifiers to Practice Groups. For example, conducting new joiner meetings and exit interviews, processing leave of absence requests, etc.
- Handling new parent leave cases and their reintegration into the business
- Producing relevant paperwork, letters, contracts, and reports for all of the above matters and ensuring that the HR Coordinator completes relevant notification(s) to support any payroll changes, etc.
- Working with the HRBP to clarify resource requirements for assigned groups and liaising with the Recruitment team to deliver against these needs, including seeking appropriate approvals
- Working in conjunction with the Inclusion & Diversity (I&D) team to support department-specific I&D initiatives, and playing an active part in one of the Firm's 'affinity' groups/networks
- Taking ownership of the end-to-end HR operational processes, working with the HR Coordinator to ensure their successful implementation, and identifying areas for improvement
- Working with the HRBPs and Head of ER and Reward to review and update HR policies and processes as necessary
- Collaborating and sharing knowledge across the People team (locally and regionally) and coaching, mentoring, and motivating more junior members of the Talent team
- Leading or assisting with ad hoc project work
About The Team
The Firm's People function has responsibility for recruiting, supporting, and developing all of the Firm's people, including our Partners, Lawyers, and Professional & Business Services, working closely with the Firm's leadership to design and deliver the Firm's people strategy, building on the firm's core commitments to collaboration, excellence, and inclusivity. The function includes:
- Talent Management
- Graduate Recruitment and Development
- Recruitment & Mobility
- Inclusion & Diversity
- Leadership & Learning
- Careers & Performance
- Partner Services and
- Total Rewards
This role will report to the HR Business Partner
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- Department Managers, Business Managers, Partners, and employees in relevant Practice Groups
- EMEA+ Talent Team
- People Team
- Graduate Recruitment
About the Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Previous HR experience is essential, preferably within the legal sector or other professional services firms or within a corporate environment
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and awareness of operating within an HR Business Partner environment or generalist HR function
- Strong client relationship skills with the ability to build rapport, influence, and develop relationships at all levels
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge and understanding of employment law, policies, and procedures
- Ability to identify appropriate actions to resolve issues in line with Firm policies and procedures (with support from HRBP on more complex matters)
- Ability to plan, schedule and arrange own activities in partnership with the job sharer to accomplish objectives
- Good diagnostic and analytic skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment
- Demonstrates a flexible, pragmatic, and commercial approach to meeting business needs
- Strong client service and delivery focus
- Attention to detail and commitment to maintaining data integrity
- Collaborative approach, effectively working with others to achieve both job share and team success
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social, and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distills a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Has a capacity to take on new ideas and develop knowledge and think holistically about business and address media, analyst, employee, and client audiences
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with the agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Uses complex, coordinated influencing/negotiation strategies, adapted to people, organizations, and/or the situation, e.g. networks
- Leverages direct reports to facilitate increased collaboration across the organization
- Builds partnerships based on a common agreement that acknowledges individual differences but creates a new commonality beyond root belief large-scale
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve mutually satisfactory outcome; shows good judgment on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures, and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Thomson Reuters (formerly Acritas' Sharplegal) Global Elite Law Firm Brand Index, 2010- 2022 - ranked 1st
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2021-2022: currently ranked 52nd
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as one of the 400 Largest US Law Firms in in its annual survey in 2020.
- Identified as one of the Hall of Fame for best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, 2011-2021.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top 100 Employers for LGBTQ+, 2017-2020.
- Ranked as one of the Top 75 Employers in the 2021 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Received Double Certification for earning top marks in the 2022 Corporate Equality Index and Equidad MX of the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
- Winner of the Europe Mentorship Programme - International Firm award in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Europe Awards 2021
- Winner of the Gender Diversity International Firm, Talent Management International Firm, and Work-Life Balance International Firm awards in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Asia Awards 2021
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
No Agencies Please
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.