To act as a finance business partner and advisor to all legal professionals and staff in local market. Responsible for all local financial matters, including the local implementation of Finance processes, standards, and policies as set by the Firm and Global Process Owners.
As the overall EMEA+ Finance team is due to integrate across borders, this role will also contribute to shared initiatives and responsibilities across wider EMEA+ offices on a collective and coordinated basis with other senior roles across the region. The role may also evolve to assume responsibilities for additional EMEA+ markets or take the lead on particular functional areas across the region.
- Manage, develop and appropriately staff the London Finance team to support all Finance areas including, but not limited to: pricing support for partners and clients, working capital management, accounting, local regulatory requirements such as tax and statutory accounting, and Financial Planning & Analysis
- Serve as key contact for the London Managing Partner and London Management Committee on all Finance related matters in the London office
- Work across borders and manage broader initiatives as assigned requiring close collaboration and coordination with colleagues in different markets
- Responsible for further implementing PBS21 initiatives as they are developed in consultation with the Global Process Owners and functional leadership, including transitioning in-scope work from local office to service centers
- Advise, support, and help facilitate change for fee earners with respect to new Finance processes and policies that will likely be met with initial resistance. Identify opportunities, risks, and escalate issues as they arise
- Develop and foster a high performing multi-disciplinary Finance team that delivers results and superb customer service to clients, fee earners, and staff alike. Support the in-market teams as needed to ensure standard processes are being followed and feedback and suggestions are being addressed timely and constructively
- Act as business advisor and operations manager to office and regional leadership team. Provide strategic direction and oversight of front-end revenue, accounting, and cost control processes and outcomes
- Identify and drive profitability initiatives to seize performance improvement opportunities and contribute to strategic financial objectives
- Support in-market processes related to budgeting, partner compensation, and other local initiatives that are aligned with the Firm’s strategy, including initiatives managed by other functions such as Talent Management, Services, and Business Development. Constructively challenge business cases and plans, while identifying obstacles and opportunities to achieve stated financial goals
- Work with appropriate regional and functional resources to ensure that the office is compliant with all local tax, statutory, and/or AML requirements as it relates to accounting, client intake, client invoicing, vendor payments and other local obligations
- Explore market-leading practices and methods that can be adapted and introduced in order to drive greater financial efficiency and effectiveness by fully leveraging Center and Specialist teams. Instil a culture of continuous improvement
The role level is Associate Director.
Travel Requirements: Ad-hoc travel may be required to different offices, as needed.
About The Team
The Finance function provides the following services to the Firm:
- Supporting strategic decision-making from a financial and business perspective
- Managing cashflow, including accounts payable, credit checks, billing and collections
- Ensuring firm-wide purchasing excellent and efficiency
- Financial reporting, budgets and forecasts
- Securing financing across the global firm
This role will be reporting to the Regional CFO, EMEA+
This will have the In-market Finance Business Partners as direct reports.
The key relationships will be with the Managing Partner in London, Management Committee in London, all local Partners, the EMEA + COO, the R2R, Q2C and P2P teams at location and the In-Market Business Teams.
About The Candidate
Technical Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors or Masters degree focusing on Financial Management, Accounting or other related areas (Masters in Business Administration - with a specialization in Finance - or a CA/CFA is preferred)
- Strong experience in similar Finance management roles within a professional services firm
- Proven ability to influence, interact and consult with senior leaders regarding finance processes, guidelines and compliances
- Demonstrated expertise in operational efficiency and financial accounting
- Strong in project management and systemic thinking
- Demonstrated ability to assess risk and take decisive, appropriate actions, especially in the case of exception requests
- Ability to network and collaborate with teams both regionally and globally, while acknowledging their cultural, social and academic diversity
- Working proficiency in using MS Office and other Productivity Tools
- Excellent communication (written and oral) skills
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2019 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66t
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Acritas recognized the Firm as the world’s strongest legal brand for the ninth year in a row.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- The Firm was honoured to be one of Stonewall's 2019 Top Global Employers and the top Global LGBT+ Network of the Year, as well as one of only 10 employers to feature in the 'Top Trans Employer' listing for a second consecutive year.
- Social Mobility Employer Index, 2019 - ranked 5th
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Senior Recruitment Officer, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.