As part of a best in class Graduate Recruitment & Development ("GR&D") team, providing first class support to the GR&D Partner and Graduate Recruitment panels/stakeholders to deliver a full spectrum of Graduate Recruitment activities. To ensure first class recruitment processes and candidate experience which is designed to deliver high quality, diverse talent, and which supports our Diversity & Inclusion strategy and ensures the Firm's market reputation as an employer of choice.
- Day to day leadership of Graduate Recruitment & Development team, providing direction, coaching and development to 2 Officers, and a co-ordinator.
- Build and maintain relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, working very closely with Graduate Recruitment Partner, the Training Principal and other key contacts within the business.
- Lead, influence and oversee the Firm’s Graduate Recruitment marketing, attraction and media strategy.
- Proactively lead on and manage all HR related areas for the trainee solicitor population.
- Manage strategic Graduate Recruitment projects.
- Responsibility for an annual budget of over £1million.
- Maintain an understanding of trends, developments, innovation and best practice in the Graduate Recruitment space and use to shape strategy and inform discussion with the business.
- Overall responsibility for the First year insight scheme, training contract and vacation scheme recruitment processes, leading delivery working closely with the GROs.
- Facilitate assessment centre “de-brief” meetings alongside the Graduate Recruitment Partner.
- Work closely with the Graduate Recruitment Interview Panel to ensure recruitment best practice and consistent and robust decision making.
- Oversee and manage relationships with a number of high profile universities, liaising with career services, law faculties and key student societies and also attending events where required.
- Oversee the delivery of the annual Graduate Recruitment marketing campaign.
- Work closely with the Inclusion and Diversity team, manage key relationships with Diversity partner organisations and ensure the Firm’s graduate recruitment process supports the diversity agenda.
- Design and host recruitment related presentations and training sessions.
- Work closely with the Firm's Training Principal, Trainee Partners, Department Managers, L&L and the Graduate Recruitment & Development Officers (GRDOs) to manage and deliver the trainee development programme through to qualification.
- Overseeing the GRDO on the trainee seat allocation and secondment process, taking a strategic view of the talent pipeline in to key groups.
- Work closely with the Trainee Solicitors and Training Principal to manage the qualification process, discussing trainee performance and qualification decisions with Partners, Department Heads and the Management Committee.
- Proactively manage trainee performance issues and providing pastoral care to the trainee population throughout their training contract.
- Overseeing and managing the team to deliver all trainee development processes (e.g. trainee evaluation process) and ensuring regulatory compliance and best practice.
- Responsible for screening applications, reviewing video interviews and acting as a Group Assessor, ensuring that screening processes follow internal guidelines and hiring decisions are made and communicated in a professional and timely manner
- Ensure that all recruitment processes and communications support the Firm’s brand and that the Firm provides a world-class candidate experience throughout the recruitment and selection process
- Ensure that recruitment activities and initiatives support and are aligned to the Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) strategy of the Firm and that D&I is embedded in all processes. Support implementation of innovative strategies to attract diverse candidates
- Build strong relationships with internal stakeholders including Graduate Recruitment Partner, Graduate Recruitment Panel, Trainees, Associates, and key business services teams.
- Actively participate in assigned recruitment work-stream and sub-streams as required.
- Lead / participate minimum of one FY recruiting project as it relates to a designated recruitment work-stream and sub-streams and participate in ad-hoc recruitment projects as and when required.
- Provide support, as and when required, to the Recruitment Leadership Team and work collaboratively as part of a regional Recruitment team, assisting other offices on recruitment activity and projects.
- Participate in various recruiter organisations to increase personal networking, knowledge sharing and promotion of the Firm.
- Attend ad-hoc events and presentations, as necessary
UK Travel only
About The Team
The People function (Human Resources & Development) in London consists of the following teams:
- Talent Management
- Diversity & CSR
- Leadership & Learning
- Careers, Performance and Reward
- Recruitment & Mobility
This role will report to the Associate Director of Recruitment, EMEA+.
The direct reports for this role are the Graduate Recruitment & Development Officer, Junior Graduate Recruitment Officer, Graduate Recruitment & Development Coordinator.
The key relationships of of this role will be with the following:
- Recruitment Leadership, including Director of Recruitment, EMEA/+
- Recruitment Managers in EMEA+
- Graduate Recruitment Training Principal
- Graduate Recruitment Partner
- Trainee Partners
- Trainee Solicitors
- Careers Service contacts
- On campus Brand Ambassadors
- External publication contacts
- HR Business Partners
About The Candidate
Technical Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Experience of managing a Graduate Recruitment team, preferably within a legal environment. Able to demonstrate excellent relationship management skills and a sound understanding of recruitment best practice and the graduate recruitment market. This role will involve providing subject matter expertise and delivering on strategic projects whilst also requiring someone who can operate effectively at a tactical level. A strong and effective people manager is required.
- Understanding the business - Makes a significant contribution to and supports change from a functional and wider business perspective in the area of graduate recruitment and development. Demonstrates commercial awareness and a focus on value add and driving higher performance. Able to respond to changing business needs quickly in a sometimes challenging environment.
- Demonstrating process / technical expertise - Leads projects to deliver new process innovations, regional integration and systems implementation. Undertakes benchmarking and other evaluation methods in determining best practice. Ensures the delivery of a high quality service in own area of expertise.
- Managing change - Skilful workshop leader / facilitator. Contributes to scoping and leading change projects across Baker McKenzie.
- Establishing & Displaying personal credibility - Is credible in a range of complex advisory and problem solving situations. Resolves conflict and differences through application of interpersonal skills. Demonstrates high personal awareness. Establishes and maintains strong relationships with key stakeholders within the business.
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
- First class written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to demonstrate sound judgement and ability to work independently
- Strong organisational skills and ability to meet deadlines and multi-task in a matrix, fast-paced, professional services environment
- Conscientious, flexible and with excellent attention to detail
- Strong client service and delivery mind-set
- Ability to maintain a calm, professional manner at all times, even when under pressure, acting as an ambassador for the Function and the Firm
- Ability to work collaboratively and to build effective networks across all levels of the business
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Gareth Newbery, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5743 or Gareth.Newbery@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.