To ensure a high level of client service and provision of quality secretarial services whilst demonstrating the ability to manage both self and others in order to contribute to an overall world class 24 hour administration service. The Float Legal PA reports to a Legal Support Team Leader (LSTM) and is expected, on a daily basis, to create a positive working relationship with the partners and the team with whom they work.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in handling a wide range of administrative and executive support related tasks and will be able to work independently with little or no supervision. The ability to interact with staff at all levels, sometimes under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality, is crucial to this role. Expert level written and verbal communication skills, strong decision making ability and attention to detail are equally important. We are looking for an experienced career-minded PA, who has either legal sector or other professional services experience.
Given that the Float Legal PA could be working in a different department every day, the candidate will need to be very flexible and able to hit the ground running. The ideal candidate will have experience in working in most practice areas.
We place an important emphasis on the development and well being of our people, we look to enable all of our employees to be the best they can be in order for them to deliver an excellent client service. We provide a specifically tailored Learning & Development Programme for all staff in Secretarial Services, a structured induction programme for all of our new joiners, a buddy scheme, and offer excellent career development opportunities. Our Secretarial Services staff enjoy an inclusive and supportive culture.
- To proactively manage the Partners' time, ensuring regular catch-up meetings to review and update on diary commitments and key priorities
- To proactively prepare agendas, papers etc in advance of key meetings
- To understand key role, responsibilities and priorities of Partners, proactively building up strong relationships with each internal and external contact in order to provide a high level support service
- To support Partners with highly confidential matters and documentation, as appropriate
- To manage projects and events (eg conferences, client or department events), taking ownership of end to end process
- To attend meetings, conference calls etc as appropriate to note key actions and responsibilities on behalf of Partners
- To undertake proactive e-mail management (manage inbox and file e-mails), ensuring that urgent emails are promptly picked up, responded to and actioned in Partners absence
- To proactively make travel arrangements (visas, flights, hotels, dinners), taking full ownership of all logistics and preparing itineraries
- To support any client activities and requirements in a proactive manner, liaising with clients e.g. take messages, pass on information, deal with simple queries, meet and greet and client events
- To build effective relationships with all Global Executive Committee PAs, acting as an ambassador for the Partners at all times
- To build relationships with client PAs, attending events as appropriate, acting as an ambassador for the firm at all times
- To manage the production of all confidential documents and to undertake general filing administration
- To ensure documents returned to the Partners accurately reflect the original request before returning work, including proofreading the document, checking spelling, grammar, sense, amendments and presentation
- To maintain and manage Partners schedule acting as the key contact point for fee earners both internally and externally, pro-actively managing diaries and arranging meetings
- To undertake limited typing i.e. urgent short documents (digital and non digital dictation)
- To work proactively with other PAs in the Department, to provide a responsive and professional secretarial support service to fee earners and clients
- To lead others to ensure comprehensive telephone cover across the department in accordance with the standard operating procedure
- To maintain CRM by proactively updating InterAction and maintaining fee earner contact lists
- Drive use of Interaction proactively communicating with fee-earners to ensure that data is up-to-date and used effectively
- To provide personal support (non B&M related), subject to PA's discretion
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2017 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2018: currently ranked 6th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or email
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Mona Rangar, Interim Recruitment Manager, on 020 7919 5739
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
- Career-minded candidates who have legal sector or other professional services experience / background, i.e. from the Big Four or banking sector.
- Experience at supporting all levels
- Can-do' attitude, demonstrates proactivity and takes the initiative
- Consistently demonstrates secretarial competencies to the highest level in all areas
- Strong technical skills, including proficient in all software packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal
- High level organisational skills
- Understanding the importance of Client Service
- Flexibility, Dedication, Humanity and Efficiency
Diversity & Inclusion
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm