To manage and support the team with compliance reporting for the London office; including, but not limited to, financial statements, VAT, PAYE Settlement Agreements and the LLP Tax Computation.
- Manage and supervise the Reporting Accountant and Financial Accountant
- Assist and review the preparation of the annual LLP and service company financial statements.
- Coordinate year-end audits for LLP and Service Company entities
- Review London office monthly management accounts to ensure general ledger and balance sheet accuracy
- Oversee all GL to sub-ledger reconciliations, fixed assets, VAT filing support, tax payment calculations and inter-firm reconciliations
- Review and approve journal entry adjustments and balance sheet re-classifications
- Review the preparation of quarterly VAT returns concerning all local entities
- Assist in the preparation and review of the Partnership Tax Computations. Liaise with our external tax advisers to provide financial information for them to complete the individual partner tax returns
- Manage the preparation of corporation tax returns for the service companies
- Advise on relevant developments in accounting, tax, and VAT legislation and implementing any necessary changes
- Define and implement operational guidelines to ensure compliance with local tax and accounting regulations
- Support Global initiatives and help ensure they are implemented in alignment with strategy and guidelines set by Specialist Functions and
Global Process Owners
- Assist with the development of financial procedures and processes throughout the firm
- Deliver projects successfully including, but not limited, to "Making Tax Digital" VAT and Income Tax, Basis Period Reform and ad-hoc system and process changes
About The Team
The Finance function provides the following services to the Firm:
- Supporting strategic decision-making from a financial and business perspective
- Managing cash flow, including accounts payable, credit checks, billing, and collections
- Ensuring firm-wide purchasing excellent and efficiency
- Financial reporting, budgets, and forecasts
- Securing financing across the global firm
This role will report to In-Market Finance Lead (Associate Director - Head of FP&A).
The direct reports of this role are the Reporting Accountant and Financial Accountant.
The key relationships of the role are with the following:
- Q2C & P2P teams at location
- In-Market Business Teams
- In-Market lawyers and management
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Qualified Accountant ACA, ACCA or CIMA qualification (6+ years PQE)
- Significant relevant Finance experience in Compliance from within a professional services organization is preferred
- Proven ability to influence, interact and consult with senior leaders regarding finance processes, guidelines, and compliances
- Demonstrated expertise in operational efficiency and financial accounting. Strong in project management and systemic thinking
- Demonstrated ability to assess risk and take decisive, appropriate actions, especially in the case of exception requests
- Ability to network and collaborate with teams both regional and global, while acknowledging their cultural, social, and academic diversity
- Working proficiency in using MS Office ( experience in excel macros preferable but not essential) and other Productivity Tools
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distills a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Has a capacity to take on new ideas and develop knowledge and to think holistically about business and address media, analyst, employee, and client audiences
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with the agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative, and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Uses complex, coordinated influencing/negotiation strategies, adapted to people, organizations, and/or the situation, e.g. networks
- Leverages direct reports to facilitate increased collaboration across the organization
- Builds partnerships based on a common agreement that acknowledges individual differences but creates a new commonality beyond root belief large-scale
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve mutually satisfactory outcome; shows good judgment on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures, and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Thomson Reuters (formerly Acritas' Sharplegal) Global Elite Law Firm Brand Index, 2010- 2022 - ranked 1st
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2021-2022: currently ranked 52nd
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as one of the 400 Largest US Law Firms in in its annual survey in 2020.
- Identified as one of the Hall of Fame for best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, 2011-2021.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top 100 Employers for LGBTQ+, 2017-2020.
- Ranked as one of the Top 75 Employers in the 2021 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Received Double Certification for earning top marks in the 2022 Corporate Equality Index and Equidad MX of the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
- Winner of the Europe Mentorship Programme - International Firm award in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Europe Awards 2021
- Winner of the Gender Diversity International Firm, Talent Management International Firm, and Work-Life Balance International Firm awards in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Asia Awards 2021
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5752 or David.Roberts@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.