We are looking for an exceptional Associate at mid or senior level (3+ years PQE) to join our market leading Employment Practice.
Our Employment team work with our clients on the full range of domestic and international employment issues. We work with a broad range of blue chip and global clients across a range of sectors, including TMT, financial services, healthcare, and consumer products, publishing and retail.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an expanding and leading London team working on high quality, varied and interesting work. This will include global projects and transactions, high profile domestic instructions, complex litigation and strategic HR advisory work.
If you have excellent academics and broad employment experience from a recognised Employment practice, we would be delighted to hear from you.
We are known for being commercial advisers with the experience and knowledge to deliver cost-effective, decisive and pragmatic advice. Our consistent first tier ranking in the legal directories reflects our determination to deliver the best possible results and outcomes for our clients. We achieve this by investing in development of our team of outstanding individuals, maintaining our leading edge expertise and working in close partnership with our clients. We believe our broad client base enables us to bring a different perspective and give more rounded advice to employers across different sectors.
Our London team consists of more than 45 dedicated employment lawyers. We also work closely with our dedicated group of Employee Benefits lawyers and Immigration specialists and our Pensions Department. Working with both HR and in-house legal teams on day to day employment queries forms a significant part of our practice. Our lawyers also have recognised leading edge technical capabilities in areas such as discrimination, collective rights and workplace change (including TUPE, mergers and acquisitions, carve outs, restructurings, outsourcing, collective consultation, trade union issues and EWCs), litigation in the employment tribunals and appellate courts, High Court litigation and data privacy.
Key Skills and Experience Required
We look for excellent academics coupled with evidence of good quality training and strong employment experience gained from a leading employment practice.
The successful applicants will need a good commercial mind-set, be a strong team player and have the ability to build excellent relationships with clients.
Experience in at least two of the following areas is essential:
- Advising on when TUPE applies and relevant consequences
- Advising on TUPE information and consultation requirements
- Advising on related issues, for example, protection against dismissal, changing terms and conditions, the election of worker representatives and protective awards.
- Drafting and negotiating relevant provisions
- General transactional support including for complex carve outs and reorganisations
- Advising on when a redundancy situation arises and procedural requirements, including pooling, selection criteria and consultation requirements in the context of individual and collective processes.
- Advising on a range of day to day queries from clients, including: disciplinary and grievance procedures, sickness absence, performance management, whistleblowing issues, contract and policy reviews and Data Protection. This role will also include advising on terminations and the potential for a settlement agreement, drafting and negotiating settlement agreements.
- Global or multi-jurisdictional projects such as implementing global or regional HR projects and transactions.
- Managing Employment Tribunal claims, including, preparing ET3 forms, preparing witness statements, considering merits and settlement.
- Advice on restrictive covenants
- High Court litigation e.g. injunctions
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2019 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Acritas recognized the Firm as the world’s strongest legal brand for the ninth year in a row.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- The Firm was honoured to be one of Stonewall's 2019 Top Global Employers and the top Global LGBT+ Network of the Year, as well as one of only 10 employers to feature in the 'Top Trans Employer' listing for a second consecutive year.
- Social Mobility Employer Index, 2019 - ranked 5th
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Gareth Newbery, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5743 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women’s Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.