To develop and implement a Knowledge strategy for the IGs and Service Lines, partnering with the relevant Steering Committees (SC), business and Professional Business Service (PBS) leads to ensure the strategy fully meets the IGs’ and PG's client strategies and objectives. To ensure that the Knowledge support, content, projects, and policies in the IGs and Service Lines meet the needs of both the IGs and the Firm’s wider Client & Market and Knowledge strategies. To lead or contribute to strategic projects to advance the Firm’s Knowledge initiatives and strategy.
- Develop and implement a Knowledge strategy for the IGs and Service Lines, ensuring that it underpins and furthers the Firm's strategy and IGs’ business goals and that it is appropriately communicated within all the IGs
- Support the Global Director of Knowledge (GDK) in the implementation of the global Knowledge strategy, ensuring that the IGs’ Knowledge Plans and support for Service Lines are fully aligned, and take a lead role on global Knowledge projects and initiatives as and when required
- Advise the IG and Service Line Business Leaders and relevant PBS leads on Knowledge issues and strategy as required and work with them to prioritize projects
- Ensure that the IGs and Service Lines have the Knowledge talent or support that they need to meet their goals, aligned with the Firm's Knowledge strategy and budget, making a business case for additional hires as required, and managing the Lead Knowledge Lawyers across the IGs
- Partner closely with the Knowledge IG and Service Line and Business Development, Marketing & Communications (BDMC) leads to ensure the IGs’ and Service Lines' Business Plans reflect the contribution that the Knowledge team can make and that such contributions are implemented
- Work with the Knowledge Lawyers to take responsibility for all legal content in the IGs and Service Lines, with the ultimate goal of ensuring that a comprehensive set of first-class knowhow materials is accessible to all lawyers in the IGs and Service Lines globally
- Work with the IG and Service Line Knowledge Lawyers to establish a core foundation of Knowledge, including working with the Director of Knowledge (Practices) to identify existing and missing precedents for the IGs and Service Lines in all key markets and to ensure that documents are drafted and maintained as appropriate
- Ensure IG and Service Line Knowledge is readily and easily accessible in line with Firm standards and strategy and kept up to date
- Develop relationships with lawyers who have expertise relevant to the IGs and Service Lines, building communities of interest and facilitating the sharing of expertise
- Ensure that all content is of a first-class standard and that quality control measures are implemented and followed consistently
- Work with the Director of Knowledge (Practices) and IG and Service Line Knowledge Lawyers to collaborate on an appropriate core training curriculum ensuring accessibility of high-quality training materials for each topic in the core curriculum. Link the IG's and Service Lines' training programs to the Knowledge strategy and to broader Firm training initiatives
- Build systems and processes to ensure the IG and Service Lines' Knowledge team monitors, analyzes and informs the IGs and Service Lines lawyers of legal developments and trends, articulating how these legal developments and trends will affect practices and clients
- Lead the IGs’ and Service Lines' efforts to find innovative ways of using their knowhow to add value to key client relationships. Work with the BDMC team to identify opportunities to collaborate and for client centric approaches, opportunities to pitch to the press, for thought leadership or to develop external webinar or seminar series, picking out key developments and “hot topics” that provide an opportunity to showcase the Firm’s expertise and insight
- Collaborate closely with the Directors of Knowledge, Lead Knowledge Lawyers and Knowledge Specialists supporting practices and various areas of the business, sharing best practices with them and learning from them in order to ensure alignment of the IGs’ and Service Lines Knowledge plans and objectives with those of other groups
- Create and develop a strong Knowledge community within the IGs and Service Lines, ensuring that all Knowledge staff with an interest in the IGs’ and Service Lines' work are in regular contact with each other
- Help establish a knowledge-sharing culture within the Firm and the IGs and Service Lines in particular through focused communications to publicize the benefits of Knowledge
- Help develop and promote the Firm’s Knowledge content, systems and tools, liaising with users to gather feedback and actively promoting use within the IGs and Service Lines
Some travel will be required
About The Team
The Knowledge function is a Firm-wide team of nearly 300 professionals, including Knowledge Lawyers, Information & Research professionals, and a variety of other functional specialists. The Knowledge function helps the Firm deliver better legal solutions by producing and providing easy access to high quality, relevant legal information for both lawyers and clients. The focus is on the following areas:
- Content - creating, collecting and providing access to market-leading precedents, sample documents, practice notes, training materials and other knowhow for our lawyers and clients, reviewing and updating regularly, to ensure that the content is current and market-leading
- Systems - working with the Technology function to design, develop and build user-friendly and flexible platforms to store knowhow and deliver it intuitively to lawyers and clients, adopting common systems across all offices and practice/industry groups
- Culture - striving to establish Knowledge as a core part of every lawyer's role, engaging actively with all lawyers in the Firm and encouraging them to share their own knowhow and expertise with colleagues as openly as possible; embracing a "one team" culture within the Firm's Knowledge community ensuring that all team members create and develop high quality local content while being aligned with our global strategy and approach
This role will report to the Global Director of Knowledge.
The direct reports of this role are the Lead Knowledge Lawyers for each IG.
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- IG SC Chairs
- Directors of Knowledge
- Lead Knowledge Lawyers
- Knowledge Lawyer leads for the Service Lines
- Knowledge Specialists
- Knowledge Partners and Champions
- Directors of Business Management, Practice Operations and BDMC for the PGs, IGs and Service Lines
- Local, Regional and Global leaders within the IGs
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Law degree (or other degree, plus a conversion to Law qualification)
- Current license to practice law (or eligibility for one)
- Extensive experience as a practicing lawyer, including significant experience as an industry lawyer, of knowledge management and of working closely with BDMC
- Demonstrates knowledge of the law in relevant areas and is regarded as an expert, with outstanding drafting and analysis skills
- Displays a deep understanding of client centric Knowledge strategy and its implementation
- Track record of leading, managing and delivering at a global level
- Takes ownership of substantial work streams and demonstrates a proactive approach; self-initiating, seeks direction and advice as needed but is also prepared to take ownership and progress tasks independently
- Works well in a virtual team setting; able to manage a remote team effectively and bring the best out of people with little direct face-to-face interaction
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5752 or David.Roberts@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.