The London Reorganisations team
Baker McKenzie is one of very few law firms with a dedicated Global Reorganisations group, and our London Reorganisations team is at the heart of this practice.
Over the last two decades, we have built a strong track record of successfully supporting multi-national groups with their business transformation projects - whether prompted by an acquisition, spin-off, or other internal reorganisation driver. Working with a cross-border and interdisciplinary team across the firm, we coordinate advice on corporate, tax, intellectual property, employment, employee benefits, real estate and commercial matters globally, as well as advising on English company law matters. We advise on:
- Pre-transaction restructurings, including multinational spin-offs or separation of a division, line of business or other assets into a separate corporate structure
- Post-acquisition integration of acquired groups of companies
- Supply chain restructuring projects
- Group simplification projects to rationalise legal entity structures
We are ranked Tier 1 for International Business Reorganisations in the Legal 500 2020 (the only law firm in that category), as well as Tier 1 for Corporate Governance.
The London Reorganisations team is made up of 3 Partners, 1 Of Counsel, 16 Associates, 3 Trainees and 2 Paralegals.
The London Corporate Department
The London Reorganisations team is part of the Baker McKenzie London Corporate Department, which provides M&A (public and private), capital markets, private equity, projects, company law advisory and corporate governance support to a wide range of clients, including listed PLCs, financial institutions, and major multinational corporates. Our practice is broad, and much of what we do is cross-border.
The London Corporate Department has over 150 fee earners and business professionals and we work across 6 key industry groups: Consumer Goods & Retail, Energy Mining & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Healthcare, Industrials, Manufacturing & Transportation, and Technology, Media and Telecoms.
Our key differentiator is that our lawyers collaborate seamlessly across borders, markets and industries around the globe. Our clients include nearly all of the world’s 100 largest public companies and more than three-quarters of the Fortune 500.
This role will suit an ambitious and talented newly qualified Corporate lawyer, looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunity within a thriving and market-leading team. Interested applicants should be able to demonstrate exemplary technical legal skills, as well as strong client care instincts and organisational ability.
The role will involve:
- Working within our team to advise and support leading multi-national corporates on their business transformation projects
- Developing relationships with clients, including understanding clients' businesses, economic drivers, markets, and sectors in order to deliver relevant and commercial advice and contribute to growing the relationship and winning further work
- Engaging in business development activities, and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work
- Taking an active role in sharing knowledge and experience across the team and the wider practice.
- There may also be an opportunity for a posting to other Baker McKenzie offices under the firm's associate transfer programme in the future.
Our associates have regular and direct contact with clients from a very junior level, and early responsibility for driving projects. Our culture is based on associates being given the level of responsibility that they are ready for, rather than a PQE-based method of work allocation.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- An newly qualified associate with an excellent academic profile
- Some English company law experience
- Excellent written communication and legal drafting skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- Strong analytical skills
- Willingness to learn - the right candidate will want to continue to develop their key competencies and skills
- Open and co-operative attitude
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7052 5752 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee-led networks that champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.