The Corporate department provides skilled M&A (public and private), capital markets, private equity, projects, reorganisations, and financial services advice, alongside traditional company law, board level compliance, and corporate governance support, to a wide range of clients, including listed PLCs, financial institutions, and major multinational corporates. We also have a US securities practice within the team. Our practice is broad, and much of what we do is cross-border.
The London Corporate team has over 150 fee earners and business professionals and we work across 6 key industry groups: Consumer Goods & Retail, Energy Mining & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Healthcare, Industrials, Manufacturing & Transportation, Technology, Media and Telecoms.
Our key differentiator is our Lawyers who collaborate across borders, markets and industries around the globe. Our Lawyers embrace new ideas and emerging technologies to give businesses confidence in these uncertain times. Our clients include nearly all of the world’s 100 largest public companies and more than three-quarters of the Fortune 500.
The private equity team is an integral part of the Corporate department advising large and mid-market private equity funds and infrastructure funds on acquisitions and divestments, typically with a cross-border dimension.
We are currently seeking ambitious, energetic and talented corporate lawyers, with experience ranging from newly qualified through to 3 years PQE, who are looking for a challenging and rewarding new role.
The role will involve:
- Advising and supporting top tier private equity funds and their portfolio companies
- Developing relationships with clients, including understanding clients' businesses, economic drivers, markets, and sectors in order to deliver relevant and commercial advice and contribute to growing the relationship and winning further work.
- Engaging in business development activities, and being active and enthusiastic in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work.
- Working as part of a team and taking an active role in sharing knowledge and experience.
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility that they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation.
- There are opportunities for secondments with clients.
- Posting to other offices under the firm's associate transfer programme is also a possibility.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2019: currently ranked 10th
- The Lawyer: The Global 200 2018: ranked 4th
- British Legal Awards 2017 - 2018: shortlisted for the "Private Equity Team of the Year"
2016 won "Private Equity team of the Year"
- Legal Business Awards 2017 - 2018: shortlisted for the "Private Equity Team of the Year"
- The Lawyer Awards 2019: nominated for "Corporate Team of the Year"
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18: Five awards:
- Best International Firm for Women in Business Law
- Most Innovative International Firm
- Best International Firm for Talent Management
- Best in UK
- Beatriz Araújo won Best in Corporate Governance
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Email
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Gareth Newbery, Recruitment Manager on 020 7072 5743 or Email
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- A newly qualified lawyer through to 3 years PQE with excellent academic credentials
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills, and strong analytical skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
- High work standards
- Flexible work practices
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- A keenness to learn
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm