We have a unique opportunity for a Paralegal to join a collaborative team on a 12 month fixed term contract within our M&A practice to focus on cross border carve out transactions. We are looking for someone with good analytical and prioritisation skills, with experience of working in an international commercial environment. Candidates who would like the opportunity to work on large deals, helping co-ordinate inputs from multiple jurisdictions and who enjoy being part of a dynamic team are encouraged to apply.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assisting with the co-ordination of large multi-jurisdictional transactions
- Drafting legal step plans and local transaction documents
- Managing virtual data rooms
- General legal project management support (managing timelines, following up local counsels and tracking progress of different workstreams)
- Drafting and proof reading legal documents
- Detailed client communication and reporting
- Work with the practice, supporting on the successful delivery of tasks within both client- and internally-facing projects
- Collate information for project updates and adapt report templates for new projects
- Perform assigned tasks with accuracy and timeliness; take responsibility for completing recurring tasks without prompting
- Prioritise workload (seeking clarification from project leads on project priorities), anticipating and escalating any foreseeable issues as well as availability, and remain aware of dependencies
- Build and use charts, timelines and other visuals effectively; suggest improvements
- Work with the Legal Project Management team to implement solutions to improve processes
- Embrace using legal technology to support the automation of status reporting on large projects
The London M&A team provides comprehensive M&A advice to a wide range of clients including PLCs, financial institutions and subsidiaries of major multinational corporates. Within the team you would work with a cross section of lawyers who are working on large carve out transactions
Key Skills and Experience Required
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements
- Candidates should ideally demonstrate experience in large multi-jurisdictional projects from a recognised law firm
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time
- Proven ability in preparing and managing work plans, step lists and timelines
- Assisting with fee tracking
- High work standards
- Good communication skills, including the ability to liaise with people across the business who are located in multiple countries
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail
- Ability to confidently deal with demanding situations, people and requirements
- Excellent organisational and problem solving skills
- Ability to prioritise and work to tight deadlines and manage own workload
- Strong client service orientation
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Excel and online research tools
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- Keen to develop and use initiative
- Experience of working with collaboration platforms such as Microsoft SharePoint
- Degree qualification or equivalent essential
- Master of Laws preferred
- Prior experience as a paralegal in an M&A or general corporate practice would be preferred
- Understanding of/experience working in large complex organisations ideally in a law firm or professional services firm
- Proven ability in drafting documents, research memorandums and detailed memorandums of advice
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm.
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The M&A team includes the Global Chair for M&A for Baker McKenzie and you would have the opportunity to work on matters with her along with other leading partners and associates.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact, in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5752 or email@example.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA - since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.