The Finance & Accounting department has a culture of excellence – it's far more than just a back office function. We provide valuable financial advice and support to the business and its stakeholders.
As part of a world-class law firm, our clients expect the very best. To deliver a first-class service, we recruit the best, and offer a friendly working environment and structured career development. Our feedback culture will help you to thrive in your role.
Our London team is led by our Chief Financial Officer and is structured into two broad areas:
1) Reporting and Accounting
This function looks after all of the Firm's reporting needs, both internal and external. This includes strategic planning and budgeting, management accounts, statutory accounts and tax work.
2) Finance Operations
This team is responsible for the day-to-day operations, including billing, collections, cash management & treasury, and client monies.
We are looking for a Junior Finance Administrator to join the Finance & Accounting team in London.
The Junior Finance Administrator will coordinate and assist with day to day management of our data by, meeting internal and external compliancy requirements. The client revenue function will coordinate assignments, budgeting, billing, ebilling, collecting and reporting for local office and non-local offices' clients. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Working with PAs billing teams and non-local offices to ensure data on our matters are correct
- Ensure with assistance from the Pricing Team, compliance with agreed billing processes and procedures throughout the local and global billing community
- Assist with collating schedules on WIP status in particular matters no older than 30 - 60 days, and keeping records up to date - Escalating dated WIP issues
- Responsible for our client requirements, including year-end deadlines and keep all relevant parties updated
- Address Pro Bono requirements and ensuring all WIP is addressed monthly
- Assisting with collating KPIs where possible
- Ensure matters fully reflect client requirements on a mass level
- Work closely with other Client Revenue Specialist Team, to progress requests to assist with the revenue cycle
- Understand all bill out-put options to assist with presenting options and recommendations to our Team and clients on requests received, based on general know-how SAP works (knowledge to be acquired)
- Attend regular internal team meetings, to discuss issues of concerns and resolution, and sharing resolutions to issues / positive changes to existing processes
- Addressing Ad hoc requests, and revisiting these to assist and provide and automated process
- Attending to Sundry Billing, Free Secondment and Ad Hoc Bill requests
- Collating Revenue information and updating on IKC clients with Global CSS
- Taking lead with refund documentation and copy bills required by our client
- Assisting with Internal and External Audit requests
- Taking lead with Requests for Payments forms, also assist with update on monies in Trust to use to off-set revenue
- Running and following up on Interim Bill status
- Create a network both internally and externally linking in contacts to maximise efficiency around client / matter data
- Working seamlessly with our Service Centres, where issues arise working to resolve these
- Follow-up with the business with the current manual chaser for Vendor invoices
- Assist with circulating weekly reports on ebilling status and ensure these are followed up.
- Working with our Accruals & Budget and Pricing Team to identify areas to streamlined and make more efficient the Revenue cycle
Key Skills and Experience Required
- Knowledge of SAP helpful
- Knowledge and experience of electronic billing systems helpful
- Advanced / Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills
- GCSE and A Level
- Business administrative experience helpful
- An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards
- An individual with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgement and who is well organized and a team player
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to deal effectively with request
- Ability to establish productive working relationships with within our Team and then progress to the business as a whole
- Commercial pragmatic attitude and understanding of our client relationships
- Ability to establish working relationships with a client's accounts payable and procurement teams
- Ability to influence clients in order to refine current billing practices and resolve issues, both theirs and ours, without detriment to the overall client relationship
- Delivers high quality work
- Maintains a courteous and professional manner
- Able to present information concisely and professionally
- Deals with sensitive information in an appropriate manner
- Is positive, polite and attentive in all situations, responding promptly to requests
- Demonstrates a positive approach to working as part of a team and is a reliable and effective team member
- Is aware of the impact of own actions and modifies behaviours accordingly
- Willing to assist team members even when busy
- Works effectively with others outside formal lines of authority to accomplish organisational goals
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7052 5752 or email@example.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.