To be responsible for processing high volume, high value, client transactions for both our UK and International offices per SRA Accounts Rules. This is a key area for this role due to the potential risks to the firm, including the Client Money Control Policy, the Facing up to Fraud Policy, and the AML Policy.
The role holder has an important role in the Finance department and will be part of a team driven to provide a high service level to the firm and our clients. They will seek to understand the purpose of the transactions they oversee and the link between the remitter, our client, and our underlying, regulated advice.
- The Legal Client Cashier needs to have a good knowledge and understanding of the Solicitors Accounts rules due to the potential high risks to the firm:
- Reviewing the firmwide client accounts for funds received and informing the related fee earner promptly, before recording the receipt on the appropriate ledger, SRA rule 8.1 (ensuring client funds are allocated to the relevant matter
- Processing client account payment requests through our HSBC electronic banking platform. (Adhering to SRA rule 3.3 'Ensuring we do not use the client account as a banking facility'
- Reviewing office/client accounts and accurately allocating funds to settle our fees and processing internal transfer requests, including those between the firms' office and client accounts. (Adhering to rule 2.3 ensuring client money is paid promptly into a client account within 5 working days)
- Reviewing the client suspense account (Ensuring funds are not held on the suspense account for longer then 30 days SRA rule 8.1)
Review bank reconciliations as assigned and proactively follow up on outstanding items. (Complying with SRA rule 8.3, bank recs to be completed every 5 weeks)
- Proactively reviewing the client account balances to ensure they are held in compliant with SAR 2.5, using this review process to build relationships with the wider firm to ensure a best-in-class service is provide
- Dealing with residual balances and proactively returning these funds to the client
- To ensure queries and requests are actioned promptly or escalated in accordance, with the Cashier manager and COF
- Providing interest calculations on request and placing client money on and off deposit as require
- Liaise with our banking partners as required concerning the transactions processed by the Cashiers
Travel requirements: None
About the team
Function: The Finance function provides the following services to the Firm:
- Supporting strategic decision-making from a financial and business perspective
- Managing cash flow, including accounts payable, credit checks, billing and collections
- Ensuring Firm-wide purchasing excellent and efficiency
- Financial reporting, budgets, and forecasts
- Securing financing across the global Firm
You will report to: Cashier Manager
Your direct reports, if any: N/A
- Cashiers and the Belfast team
- Revenue and the wider Finance department
- Partners, Fee Earners, Internal Client Services, and Business Resources departments
About the candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience:
- Experience working as a legal cashier with a good understanding of the SRA rules outlined above
- Experience of using Outlook and Excel and relative experience of an accounting package, preferably SAP
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills
- Highly motivated individual who will be able to deal effectively with conflicting requirements
- Good communication skills and the ability to deal with high volumes of work under pressure, with consideration of the related deadlines.
- Pro-active team player with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and ability to work in a team
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distills a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Has the capacity to take on new ideas and develop knowledge and think holistically about business and address media, analyst, employee, and client audiences
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with the agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Uses complex, coordinated influencing/negotiation strategies, adapted to people, organizations, and/or the situation, e.g. networks
- Leverages direct reports to facilitate increased collaboration across the organization
- Builds partnerships based on a common agreement that acknowledges individual differences but creates a new commonality beyond root belief large-scale
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve mutually satisfactory outcomes; shows good judgment on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures, and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 74 offices in 45 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 1,000 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Thomson Reuters (formerly Acritas' Sharplegal) Global Elite Law Firm Brand Index, 2010- 2022 - ranked 1st
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2021-2022: currently ranked 52nd
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as one of the 400 Largest US Law Firms in in its annual survey in 2020.
- Identified as one of the Hall of Fame for best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, 2011-2021.
- Received a a Gold Award in Stonewall's Global Workplace Equality Index of Top Global Employers for LGBTQ+ Inclusion.
- Ranked as one of the Top 20 Employers in the 2023 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Received Double Certification for earning top marks in the 2022 Corporate Equality Index and Equidad MX of the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
- Winner of the Europe Mentorship Programme - International Firm award in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Europe Awards 2021
- Winner of the Gender Diversity International Firm, Talent Management International Firm, and Work-Life Balance International Firm awards in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Asia Awards 2021
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on 020 70725752 or David.Roberts@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.