To deliver the In-Market business development and marketing operations and plans for the EU, Competition & Trade Practice Group (EUC&T) in London. Co-ordinating the BDMC function's office resources to develop a strategic focused, market-leading BDMC business-partnering capability which enables the EUC&T Practice Group in London to win, retain and grow business through consistently high standards, engaging thought leadership as well as strong relationship and account management.
- Lead on the design and execution of BDMC plans for the EUC&T Practice Group which consists of two key sub-groups: (1) Antitrust & Competition (2) International Trade, bringing in BDMC Expert and End-to-End functions as required (these functions include central marketing, directories, proposals, key client management, data analytics, market research, events and design teams)
- Pro-actively drive forward London EUC&T priorities such as practice-driven strategic initiatives, client targeting; client events, client listening, thought-leadership, directory & award submissions, proposals and a range of other BDMC projects across the practice group as required
- Work with Partners and fee earners to ensure their BDMC requirements are strategically brainstormed, developed, implemented and communicated to other parts of the BDMC function; collaborate with Expert functions to challenge requests where commercially prudent, e.g. pitch go/no go decisions
- To work with colleagues in the wider regional & global practice group BDMC, Client Development and Industry Sectors to ensure lawyers are connected to key initiatives and armed with information on latest trends and related hot topics/talking points to generate opportunities
- Deliver high quality BDMC support and training to the London EUC&T Practice Group by integrating contributions from Expert functions and End-to-End Services with their own work. This spans all aspects of the BD and Marketing mix including: developing client or sector opportunities, maximising ROI from client conferences & events, deploying marketing and communications campaigns, and promoting our service lines
- Support the Partners and other fee earners to identify and implement external profile raising opportunities, including our thought-leadership programme/campaigns, article writing and speaking opportunities
- Ensure that content and materials suitable for BDMC purposes are regularly reviewed and kept up to date; developing new materials for additional services lines and opportunities as required
This role will not require regular travel
About The Team
The Firm’s BDMC function works closely with our Partners and leadership teams to:
- Increase our revenue, profitability and share across markets, industries and clients
- Enable us to win, retain and grow business through powerful pitches, engaging thought leadership and strong relationship management
- Lead market & client intelligence efforts to create new service line opportunities in industry and practice groups
- Channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity and culture through a single communications voice
This role will report to the Senior Business Development Manager, Advisory Practice Groups.
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- Lead EUC&T Partners & Lawyers
- Line management
- BDMC colleagues in expert and E2E functions
- Professional & Business Services (PBS) colleagues - e.g. global and regional BD leads for Antitrust & Competition and International Trade
About EU, Competition & Trade (EUC&T)
The London EUC&T team advise clients in a wide range of industries across the full spectrum of antitrust & competition, international trade-and related compliance issues:
- Antitrust & Competition: we are a leading competition practice in the UK market and a peer of the 'Magic Circle' firms in London. The practice handles transactional, investigatory, behavioral and litigious matters at the UK and EU level, as well as acting as a hub for global co-ordination strategies on behalf of our clients. The practice enjoys strong workflows of high profile mandates in all areas of competition law. Our team of four Partners combine a unique ability to draw upon expertise across the spectrum of competition law and lead the continued development of our UK competition practice.
- International Trade: We are the market leading law firm in the UK for international trade compliance. We are the only firm to be ranked Tier 1 for International Trade by the UK Legal 500 for all 20 years (2000 – 2020). We have five dedicated partners in London alone - unmatched by any other firm in the City. With a trade practice in London that stretches back to 1995, the team is uniquely placed to provide advice across all areas of international trade and related compliance issues, including trade sanctions, export controls, customs, WTO & trade remedies, anti-bribery & corruption and product, supply chain & ESG compliance.
We collaborate across these two sub-groups on areas such as foreign investment review & national security and multi-disciplinary cross-cutting compliance matters for clients. The areas of law covered by the department are at the forefront of many major global and geo-political developments such as Brexit, global trade wars, protectionism, supply chain disruption and regulation of the tech sector to name a few. As a result, the team continues to enjoy a sustained growth in revenues and talent.
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree desirable/Masters or qualifications focusing on Marketing, Communications, Sales or other related commercial subjects would be advantageous
- Good experience in a marketing and/or business development role, preferably in a professional services environment
- Experience working with senior stakeholders and developing relationships with them
- Strong judgment and a demonstrable track record for confidently suggesting well-reasoned independent strategic recommendations and ideas
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively manage competing priorities
- Advanced understanding of strategic marketing and communications
- Self-motivated and independent, able to work with a minimum of supervision
- Comfortable working across multiple cultures and time zones in a matrix organization
- Strong interpersonal skills, including pleasant nature and ability to influence others
- High degree of attention to detail
- Knowledge of Antitrust & Competition, International Trade or broader compliance & investigations work is desirable but not essential
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5752 or David.Roberts@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.