To manage the strategic focus of revenue-driving activities of the EMEA Capital Markets and Projects Practice Groups (the Practice Groups); co-ordinate the BDMC resources and develop a strategic focused, market-leading BDMC business-partnering capability which enables the Practice Groups to win, retain and grow business through consistently high standards, engaging thought leadership as well as strong relationship and account management.
- Work with the Practice Group Leaders and Steering Committees, Fee Earners as well as Expert Functions and Global End-to-End Services to proactively plan and deliver a compelling BDMC strategy across the Practice group in EMEA offices; understand regional market needs and dynamics
- Work with the Practice Group Steering Committees to regularly review activities during (monthly) conference calls and face to face meetings; produce analyses of activity versus plans, demonstrating value add of activities undertaken; produce and interpret financial/fee reports; monitor expenditure against budget
- Input to Practice Group meetings (generally held annually) to shape the agenda and ensure a balance between 'technical' and BD content and activities; and briefing events team on logistical requirements for the meeting
- Provide guidance to the Client Experience team key information and statistics relating to Practice Group activities (e.g. key deals and matters)
- Work with the EMEA Proposals team on for major pitches and proposals for the Regional Practice Group and engage with other team members as appropriate
- Work with the PG Leader and Steering Committee, Fee Earners and Client Managers to develop plans which deliver growth to the appropriate Industry Key Clients and Regional Clients by using Firm-wide best practice BDMC activities which will drive sustainable profitable revenue generation and increase profile
- Drive revenue opportunities for the practice by using products and service lines ensuring that the appropriate clients are being targeted
- Partner closely with our Expert BDMC functions (Key Client management, Communications, Pitch Excellence & Pursuits, Pricing Excellence, GPGs and RPGs) to ensure our in-region media engagement, proposal preparation and pitch training for attorneys, pricing options and alternative fee arrangements strategies align with the requirements of the business as well as global best practice
- Work with our global BDMC End-to-End Services teams (Marketing Services; Directories, Awards and League Tables; Event Management) around local production needs including proposal and communications templates; marketing material, campaigns and channels; roll-out of branding communications and advertising; managing submissions for awards, league tables and directories; and local event requirements
- Work with our Communications professionals to drive both internal and external communications for practice development in locations across EMEA, local media and intranet to channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity and culture through a single, uniform and strategically consistent communications voice
Travel requirements: Occasional travel to EMEA offices, Regional PG Meeting and EMEA Partner Meeting
About the team
The BDMC function works closely with our Partners and leadership teams to:
- Increase our revenue, profitability and share across markets, industries and clients
- Enable us to win, retain and grow business through powerful pitches, engaging thought leadership and strong relationship management
- Lead market & client intelligence efforts to create new service line opportunities in industry and practice groups
- Channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity and culture through a single communications voice
You will report to Senior Manager, Transactional PGs, EMEA
Your direct reports, if any None
- EMEA PG Steering Committee members
- Global PG Expert Function
- E2E EMEA PG
- BDMC team and In-Market BDMC colleagues
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2018 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2019: currently ranked 10th
- The Lawyer: The Global 200 2018: ranked 4th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18: Five awards:
- Best International Firm for Women in Business Law
- Most Innovative International Firm
- Best International Firm for Talent Management
- Best in UK
- Beatriz Araújo won Best in Corporate Governance
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or email.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Gareth Newbery Recruitment Manager on 020 7072 5743 or email.
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
About the candidate:
Technical skills, qualifications and experience ? Bachelor's degree desirable; Masters or qualifications focusing on Marketing, Communications, Sales or other related commercial subjects would be advantageous
- Experience working in a multi-cultural, cross-border team is preferred
- Strong experience working in a professional services industry or similar marketing and business development roles
- Proven project management skills, with high level of attention to detail, ability to deliver complex cross-border projects on time
- Excellent English language written/verbal communication and presentation skills
- Team spirit, collaboration, positivity and adaptability are important skills
- A high level of commercial acumen and business curiosity to identify growth opportunities for the business and keep abreast of business trends
- Effective interpersonal and influencing skills to manage stakeholder expectations and deliver strong return on investment
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion