To assist in delivering the in-market business development and marketing operations and plans for the Advisory/ Contentious Practice Groups in London (Dispute Resolution, IPTech, Tax, Employment & Compensation, Pensions, Competition Trade & Foreign Investment).
The role holder will be working side by side with the Advisory and Contentious Practice Group Managers to execute growth plans and promote key service lines, client opportunities, and cross-selling initiatives. Though the focus of the role is supporting the London team, many projects are international in nature and involve collaborating with other offices and Practice Groups to enhance cross-selling opportunities.
This role is multi-faceted and the role holder will have both exposure to varied practice groups and the opportunity to gain great experience across the entire business development and marketing mix.
- Support the execution of BDMC plans for the Advisory/Contentious Practice Groups by delivering high-quality BDMC support and bringing in BDMC Specialists and End-to-End functions as required (these functions include central marketing, directories, awards, proposals, events, key client management, data analytics, and design teams).
- Support the implementation of Advisory Group/Contentious Group priorities such as client targeting, thought leadership, effective response to requests for proposals, and assisting with a range of special projects across the practice group, under the guidance and direct supervision of the Advisory/Contentious Practice Group Managers. The role may also include support on special project / cross-practice initiatives as required and as directed by the Advisory/Contentious Practice Group Managers
- Maintain and develop the Firm's profile within the Groups being supported, including a selection of sponsorship, trade body membership, and in-house campaign initiatives
- Together with the Advisory and Contentious Practice Group Managers, supporting the Partners and other fee earners to identify and implement external profile-raising opportunities, including our thought-leadership program/campaigns, article writing, and speaking opportunities; always looking for opportunities internally and externally to promote work on products/propositions
- Champion the use of social media from helping the fee earners focus on content generation, to upskilling the group to regularly post and share our content
- To work with colleagues across BDMC, Client Development, and Industry Sectors to ensure lawyers are armed with information on the latest trends and related hot topics/talking points and use them to generate opportunities. There is a lot of information out there and we can play a big role in joining the dots
- Ensure that content and materials (e.g. capability statements) suitable for BDMC purposes are captured, kept up-to-date, and shared; develop new materials for prioritized and additional services lines and opportunities as required
About The Team
The Firm’s BDMC function works closely with our Partners and leadership teams to:
- Increase our revenue, profitability, and share across markets, industries, and clients
- Enable us to win, retain and grow business through powerful pitches, engaging thought leadership, and strong relationship management
- Lead market & client intelligence efforts to create new service line opportunities in industry and practice groups
- Channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity, and culture through a single communications voice
This role will report to the Senior Manager/Manager within the Advisory/Contentious Group.
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- Practice Group Managers, Knowledge Management Lawyers, London
- Line management
- BDMC colleagues in Specialist and Center-based functions
- Partners and lawyers
- Business Professional colleagues
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Experience in a marketing and/or business development role, preferably in a professional services environment, desirable but not critical
- Experience working with stakeholders and developing relationships
- Strong judgment and a demonstrable track record for confidently suggesting well-reasoned independent strategic recommendations and ideas
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability effectively to co-ordinate competing priorities
- Good and developed practical understanding of marketing and communications
- Self-motivated and independent, able to work with a minimum of supervision
- Comfortable using Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint and an intermediate level
- Comfortable working across multiple cultures and time zones in a matrix organization
- Strong interpersonal skills, including pleasant nature and ability to collaborate with others
- High degree of attention to detail
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distills a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Has the capacity to take on new ideas and develop knowledge and think holistically about business and address media, analyst, employee, and client audiences
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with the agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative, and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Uses complex, coordinated influencing/negotiation strategies, adapted to people, organizations, and/or the situation, e.g. networks
- Leverages direct reports to facilitate increased collaboration across the organization
- Builds partnerships based on a common agreement that acknowledges individual differences but creates a new commonality beyond root belief large-scale
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve mutually satisfactory outcomes; shows good judgment on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures, and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Thomson Reuters (formerly Acritas' Sharplegal) Global Elite Law Firm Brand Index, 2010- 2022 - ranked 1st
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2021-2022: currently ranked 52nd
- Refinitiv (formerly Thomson Reuters) ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 15 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as one of the 400 Largest US Law Firms in in its annual survey in 2022.
- Identified as one of the Hall of Fame for best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, 2011-2021.
- Received a Gold Award on Stonewall's 2022 Global Workplace Equality Index of Top Global Employers for LGBTQ+ people
- Ranked as one of the Top 10 Employers in the 2022 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Received Double Certification for earning top marks in the 2022 Corporate Equality Index and Equidad MX of the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
- Winner of the Europe Mentorship Programme - International Firm award in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Europe Awards 2021
- In 2022, we won Career Development International Firm, Diverse Women Lawyers International Firm, Work-Life Balance International Firm, Innovative International Firm of the Year and Women in Business International law firm (WIBL Asia).
- Baker McKenzie has been awarded "Women in Business Law Firm of the Year" and "Career Development Firm of the Year" at the inaugural Euromoney Women in Business Law Global Awards 2022.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on 02070725752 or email David.Roberts@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.