To develop trends, forecasts, presentations and prepare conclusions and recommendations by managing the transformation, aggregation and analysis of data from numerous sources, thereby helping senior leadership and Partners make relevant decisions relating to the implementation of the Firm strategy on a global, regional and local level. This role will have a stronger focus on the EMEA region on top of its inherent global responsibilities and have a strong exposure to key management.
Project and Team Management responsibilities:
- To lead and coordinate ongoing Strategy and Business Analytics projects globally and the EMEA region
- Assist in the assessment and review of our current business shape to help investigate which legal teams, markets or industries we should prioritise and invest further in the near future
- Help Partners understanding which clients they should direct their efforts to and what different level of returns are to be expected by doing so
- Assist Partners in specific client initiatives to help bring new customers and mandates to the Firm
- Assist in the creation of new operational process improvements, Management Information solutions or data modelling/scoring systems across various practices and functions
- Ad-hoc support on creating presentations, graphics and reports for various senior stakeholders while also being able to comment and present the final output to the customers
- Research support to meet strategic targeting and business development requirements, leveraging external financial information database, legal and macro-economic reports to help provide market context to the Firm and our clients
- Collaborate on projects involving legal and non-legal technology providers to help the team develop cutting edge and innovative solutions (including sentiment analyses, machine learning, etc.)
- Advocate the use of effective decision-making techniques and efficiency-enhancing behaviours including Business Analytics, Pricing, Legal Project Management and Legal AI in your various interventions
- Heavily contributes to the development of the Market Strategy & Analytics team by improving how we share knowledge, train and develop our talents further
- Analyse historical and real-time data to create summaries supporting the decision making of senior function leadership and Partners
- Use statistical methods to identify meaningful correlations and relationships among seemingly unrelated and sometimes unstructured sets of data
- Develop a foundation enterprise data analytics platform by studying business and information needs; confer with users; study system data flow, data usage patterns, and work processes; and investigate problem areas
- Gather data from multiple sources and assimilate into meaningful inputs for Firm databases
- Continually validate data sources and ensure data grouping and mapping is accurate and clean
- Create ad-hoc solutions to business problems, including automating manual processes by using VBA, SQL, Tableau, Tableau Prep, Power Pivots and the full suite of MS Office applications
Limited travel required on an ad-hoc basis (e.g. face-to-face meetings, country or regional business or training presentations across EMEA, global Firm's annual meeting, regional team catch-ups, etc.)
About the Team
The Global Business Analytics (GBA) team underpins Baker McKenzie's commercial decision-making and go to market strategies from within the Market Strategy & Analytics function, which reports to the Global Head of Strategy (and is part of the BDMC function). This role works with the firm's management teams to help make better informed business decisions, often through the intelligent use of data that enhances the drive towards the strategic goals of the business. The team offers contextual advice and modelling to support strategic decisions, proposed operational improvements, and prototypes tools which provide enhanced management information to key decision-makers. The team fulfils an "internal consultant" function to the firm executive leadership and business unit leaders, including our Finance, Business Development, Ops and Human Resources departments, alongside the firm's Executive Committee (Board of Directors) as well as the C-Suite.
You will report to
Associate Director - Global Business Analytics
Your direct reports, if any
2 Senior Business Analytics Analysts and 1 Intern (rolling 6-month) report into this role, based in London, Paris and Madrid
- The team (Market Strategy & Analytics)
- Director of Strategy
- Global Ops Directors (Practice groups)
- Global Industry Leads (Industry groups)
- Function leads (Finance, HR, BDMC, KM, IT, LPM, Pricing, etc.)
- Local or regional leadership management
- Local office Partners
- Third party vendors or consultant (e.g. SparkBeyond, Chambers, etc.)
About the Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Relevant undergraduate (Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Chartered Accountancy or Business strongly preferred) degree (2:1 classification or above preferred)
- Prior experience in Management Consulting (3 years at least, Big 4 preferred) including relevant experience in data and analysis tasks
- Accustomed to present own analyses to leadership management on a local, regional or global level
- Critical-thinking, commercial, strategic and analytical mind-set that will span analytics, pricing, performance improvement, strategic projects, market analysis, data and reporting
- Ability to engage with a variety of teams that can often not speak a common language (e.g. Technology, Finance, Business Development and Client teams) and help the group achieve its objectives
- Understanding of the transactional space and the different market databases available (e.g. Bloomberg, Refinitiv, MergerMarket) with a strong preference for someone who knows how to leverage these
- Experience of reporting and translation of financial data into insights through commercial financial analysis and critical evaluation
- Knowledge and experience of financial systems (SAP preferred) and business applications and languages (Excel, Access, SQL, Tableau)
- Ability to design and create database with multiple tables and advanced dashboards
- Ability to create macros and use various tools to automate manual processes and solve business problems expeditiously (optional)
- First-rate written and oral communication skills in your native language and English (if not your native language)
- High level of attention to detail and prior demonstration of the ability to manage projects from start to finish in a challenging environment (time pressure, last minute prioritisation change, etc.)
- Ability to withstand pressure during busy periods, while keeping high quality execution and respect of fast-moving, urgent deadlines
- Strong interest and understanding of political, legal and economic news and topics to provide context to the work outputs
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2019 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Acritas recognized the Firm as the world's strongest legal brand for the ninth year in a row.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- The Firm was honoured to be one of Stonewall's 2019 Top Global Employers and the top Global LGBT+ Network of the Year, as well as one of only 10 employers to feature in the 'Top Trans Employer' listing for a second consecutive year.
- Social Mobility Employer Index, 2019 - ranked 5th
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5752 or David.Roberts@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA - since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.