Our Leveraged Finance team is seeking a junior-senior-level Associate to join the Baker McKenzie banking and finance group which currently comprises 9 partners, 2 knowledge lawyers and 25 associates and trainees. Duties include:
- Advising clients on a wide range of matters, with a particular focus on leveraged finance, syndicated loans, acquisition finance, project finance and trade finance. Associates work in a collegiate environment, for a range of partners, and can expect a good variety of work
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation
- Developing relationships with clients including gaining a good knowledge of the client’s businesses, economic drivers, market and sector requirements in order to ensure advice is relevant and commercial
- There are regular opportunities for secondments with clients. Posting to other offices under the firm's associate transfer programme is also a possibility
- Engaging in business development activities and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work
- Working as part of a team including assisting with the supervision of junior lawyers’ work, and taking an active part in sharing knowledge and experience with the team
Leveraged Finance is a team within the firm's broader Banking & Finance Practice which comprises over 40 lawyers specialising in 15 distinct practice areas that best match the requirements of our global client base. This role will be primarily working with leveraged finance loan partners, Matthew Cox, Ben Wilkinson, Nick O'Grady, Matt Smith and Bevis Metcalfe and will involve collaboration with leveraged finance capital markets partners Rob Mathews, David Becker and Haden Henderson.
We advise banks, private credit funds and other lenders, sponsors, borrowers and other corporate entities on all aspects of financing transactions – from origination, negotiation and documentation to closing. We also advise clients on enforcement situations, workouts and reorganisations and the full breadth of structured and capital markets offerings. As a firm, we are noted for our expertise in leveraged finance, acquisition finance, securitisation, bank lending, financial regulatory work and project finance, especially advising on bespoke complex transactions and those involving emerging markets.
The London team are an integrated part of the Firm's Global Finance group of over 500 lawyers who cover the world's key financial money centres, many of whom are regularly featured in the top tier of rankings in both Legal 500 and Chambers for Banking and Finance. Some of these entries include:
Baker McKenzie LLP is "excellent at helping clients navigate through complex multi-region financing deals" - Legal 500 UK
Baker McKenzie LLP has "a top-class practice" - Legal 500 UK
“They have a lot of resources to provide a big team. They are always well organised, highlight the right topics and are always up to speed.” - Chambers UK
“A great firm committed to a high standard of service to the client.” - Chambers UK
Key Skills and Experience Required
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
- A qualified leveraged finance associate with experience acting on private credit and/or syndicated financings
- Familiarity with debt financing in the context of competitive auction processes
- Experience with primary commitment papers including commitment letter, term sheet and fee letter
- Exposure to a wide range of finance products including, Term Loan B, Unitranche and/or Bank/Bond Structures
- Experience / skills commensurate with PQE level
- First rate technical skills needed to support the client work of the department
- Commerciality and demonstrable business development experience
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Excellent academic credentials
- Ability to work independently
- Initiative and proactivity
- Maturity and gravitas
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
- High work standards
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- A keenness to learn
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
The Leveraged Finance team is at the forefront of the firm's strategy to grow its transactional practice group. The team has seen significant growth over the past three years. It is now a very exciting time to join this entrepreneurial and dynamic team which offers a range of opportunities to take your career to the next level.
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA - since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.