To work closely with the Director of Marketing to position the Baker McKenzie as the global law firm of choice and drive client demand in through integrated, multi-channel initiatives;
To take accountability for driving innovation and best practice across multiple jurisdictions with impactful, value-adding campaigns to strengthen our position in key markets;
To oversee the Firm’s engagement with strategic partners and sponsorships working closely with the Sponsorships and Strategic Programmes lead;
To develop Content and Editorial Strategy alongside the relevant leads and oversee management of the Content and Planning team and the Editorial Studio;
The role holder will be a strong leader, enabler and collaborator, with a growth mind set, excellent commercial awareness and experience in managing and motivating diverse teams across multiple geographies.
Strategy and Advisory
- Aligned to the Firm’s Client and Market Strategy, create and implement the Campaign and Content Strategy, with a clear vision, goals and measurable targets to assist in driving growth
- Translate strategic aims and marketing plans into high profile, market-led initiatives, with a strong emphasis on client engagement, new business development and profile raising
- Oversee management of key strategic partnerships and sponsorships, leveraging the Firms’ investment across all areas of the business
- Working as one seamless global team, collaborate across the central functions from BD to Brand, Communications, Design and Marketing to drive holistic solutions and results-orientated campaigns
- Work with the Knowledge team to repurpose and elevate content to demonstrate our deep understanding of our clients’ issues distributed across multiple channels
- Engage directly with Industry and Practice Groups, Service Lines, Communications and BD professionals to develop and implement market-leading thought leadership
- Work closely with the Editorial Studio Leader, to establish the studio and devise a new Editorial Strategy designed to elevate the quality of written content across the Firm
- Oversee the provision of expert editorial and copywriting services for publication of content across all internal and external channels, including digital and social media
- Develop new processes to connect with the Firm at key stages in the evolution of content, to create, edit and polish content
- Work closely with Brand and Communications to accurately represent the Firm’s tone of voice in all written communication
- A great relationship builder and influencer, this role requires extensive engagement with senior stakeholders across the Firm
- Build and develop a strong and high-performing team, structured to leverage local knowledge at a global level to differentiate the Firm’s offering
- Mentor and coach the team, providing clear career paths and access to learning and development opportunities
- Establish new processes to improve the quality of writing, leveraging existing tools and technologies
- Implement Quality Control processes for key published content
- Develop training to assist the whole team improve writing and editorial skills and outputs
- Manage budgets, KPIs and monitor and report on return on investment
Some travel to office locations and events as required
About The Team
The Firm’s BDMC function works closely with our Partners and leadership teams to:
- Increase our revenue, profitability and share across markets, industries and clients
- Enable us to win, retain and grow business through powerful pitches, engaging thought leadership and strong relationship management
- Lead market & client intelligence efforts to create new service line opportunities in industry and practice groups
- Channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity and culture through a single communications voice
This role will report to Director of Marketing.
The direct reports of this role are the Content Lead, Campaign Planning Lead, Sponsorships and Client Programmes lead, Editorial Studio lead.
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- Communications and Marketing team members
- In-Market BDMC Business Partners
- Expert Industry Key Clients and Regional Client Program Managers
- Colleagues across BDMC
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Experience of marketing in a business-to-business environment, ideally within professional services. Big 4 and exposure to a large consultancy environment is desirable but not essential.
- Excellent writer/editor with a 'digital first' mind set
- Persuasive communicator, with the confidence to influence widely at all levels.
- A proven track record in content and campaign development
- Able to work with complex, technical issues to develop high impact, client focused initiatives
- Experience managing large, multi-disciplinary teams across multiple geographies
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5752 or David.Roberts@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.