The AML Deputy Manager will support the AML Compliance Manager to supervise the Matter Management team in all aspects of client and matter registration. The AML Deputy Manager will be responsible for ensuring effective workflow management of the team including work allocation and performance management. The AML Deputy Manager will work closely with the Matter Management team, the AML Compliance Manager, the Senior Risk & Compliance Associate, the MLCO and MLRO.
- Overall: To support the AML Compliance Manager to supervise and manage the Matter Management team.
- Develop and maintain the workflow management of the Matter Management team responsible for work allocation ensuring that work is distributed appropriately while also ensuring that service levels are met.
- Check-in with all Matter Management Analysts on a weekly basis to review completion rates, discuss queries and identify and deal with any performance concerns.
- Assist with the recruitment, retention and performance management of the Matter Management team, dealing with any performance issues and assisting with performance reviews.
- Provide regular updates to the Matter Management team on issues raised or trends identified.
- Oversee the monitoring of timing of verification, liaising with Fee Earners where necessary to ensure verification is obtained in a timely manner.
- Support the AML Compliance Manager to carry out regular training for the Matter Management Team to ensure the team are up to date with applicable AML laws and regulations and advising on how these changes affect the Firm and its processes.
- Create and manage an AML training plan for new members of the Matter Management Team and support the AML Compliance Manager in delivering this training.
- Identify internal training needs for Fee Earners and Support Staff and to assist with the planning and provision of training.
- Assist with AML Compliance related matters or projects as identified and assigned by the AML Compliance Manager.
- As required to meet the demands of the business:
- provide AML advice and management relationships with key internal stakeholders: Partners, Fee Earners, PAs, Matter Management, New Business Intake, AML Compliance Manager, MLCO, MLRO and Finance.
- advise on queries regarding third party payers with minimal supervision, understanding the relevant rules regarding billing and seeking tax advice where necessary.
- deal with complex client due diligence queries: thoroughly document, research and provide opinions on complex client matters and escalate findings clearly and concisely for internal review.
- perform client due diligence and screening for PEPs, Sanctions, Adverse Media etc., utilising a number of trusted industry sources including disposition of screening alerts;
- perform and review client and matter risk assessments and make risk based decisions based on the analysis undertaken.
About The Team
The Admin, Ops & Risk function has a wide remit, including fulfilling the following functions:
- Risk Management, Regulatory advice and Compliance
- General Counsel
- Business Protection
- Partnership Secretariat
This role will be reporting to the AML Compliance Manager.
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- AML Compliance Manager
- Senior Risk and Compliance Associate
- Money Laundering Compliance Officer (MLCO)
- Money Laundering Reporting Officer (MLRO)
- In-Market lawyers and management
- Matter Management Team
- In-Market business teams
- New Business Intake
About the Candidate
Technical Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant AML experience, preferably in an international law firm (min. 4 years)
- Detailed knowledge of AML/CTF requirements and financial crime risks associated with the range of services in the legal industry
- Proven team management and work allocation experience is strongly preferred including experience of day-to-day performance management.
- Experience of AML/KYC/Due Diligence processes and systems e.g. Intapp, MINT Global / Orbis, World Check One
- Experience with AML monitoring and screening
- Bachelor's degree required (2:1 or above preferred)
- Law degree / LPC preferred
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Ability to manage processes efficiently, with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Experience in managing projects and delivering to agreed timescales.
- A recognized AML/Compliance qualification is desirable but not essential
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Strong decision making capabilities
- Team player adaptable to fast-paced and changing environment
- Good planning, time management and prioritisation skills
- Ability to work independently and also to liaise with other departments
- Must have good knowledge of Microsoft office applications and other Productivity Tools (Intapp knowledge is an advantage)
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self- reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2018 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey
- Acritas recognized the Firm as the world’s strongest legal brand for the ninth year in a row
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney
- The Firm was honoured to be one of Stonewall's 2019 Top Global Employers and the top Global LGBT+ Network of the Year, as well as one of only 10 employers to feature in the 'Top Trans Employer' listing for a second consecutive year
- Social Mobility Employer Index, 2019 - ranked 5th.
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Senior Recruitment Officer, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.