We are looking for a dedicated and experienced Compliance Officer to manage day- to-day anti-money laundering compliance in the London office and to lead and implement compliance improvement initiatives.
The role reports directly into our Money Laundering Compliance Officer (MLCO) and Money Laundering Reporting Officer (MLRO) and sits within our Risk & Compliance team.
- Manage day-to-day compliance with AML obligations in the London Office of Baker McKenzie including:
- Oversee completion of client due diligence (CDD) checks by the Matter Management Team
- Overall responsibility for review and management of CDD checks on a matter-by-matter and risk sensitive basis
- Act as a escalation point for resolution of identified issues
- Escalate issues to the MLCO where necessary
- Support the MLRO with review of internal SARs and prepare and submit external SARs
- Develop and implement AML compliance improvement plans
- Manage AML Training (monitoring e-learning and delivering in-person training to all staff)
- Act as escalation point for employee screening checks
- Complete regular audit of AML Compliance
The London Risk & Compliance team has a wide remit, including fulfilling the following functions
- Risk, Regulatory and Compliance
- General Counsel
- Business Protection
- Partnership Secretariat
The Risk & Compliance Team works closely with the Managing Partner of the London office, the London COO, the firm's MLRO and the London Claims Partner. The team is led by the General Counsel and currently comprises an Associate, a paralegal, the firm's Records Management Team and two PAs
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2017 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2018: currently ranked 6th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or email
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Officer, on 020 7072 5731 or email
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASEPlease note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
- Degree qualified and/or professional AML qualification
- Professional Services experience operating in the AML regulatory space
- Previous experience managing and implementing key compliance projects
- Ownership of the escalation process and ability to exercise own judgement where appropriate
- AML subject matter expert and ability to train and develop others
- Constantly seeks more efficient ways of doing things.
- Manages and controls expenditure within budget, justifies and defends financial management decisions.
- Ability to manage own workload and time effectively.
- Is aware of other team members' workloads and actively seeks to support and assist colleagues.
- Ability to plan and manage several projects in a dynamic environment.
- Continually strives to deliver the highest level of service
- Works to understand (internal) clients' needs. Regularly seeks feedback to improve the service offered and implements performance improvement measures based on feedback
- Utilises resources appropriately and is aware of the commercial and legal implications in a situation
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- Adapts communication style to suit audience and is able to persuade and influence at all levels.
- Is positive, polite and attentive in all situations, responding promptly to requests
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm