To undertake AML processes such as Client Due Diligence (CDD), Risk Assessments, Monitoring and Reporting. This role requires risk based analysis and decision making and proactive collection and validation of required information to support timely client on-boarding and matter processing in-line with regulatory requirements. You will be responsible for client on-boarding and matter processing, conducting periodic reviews and assisting Senior Management with other AML/Compliance activities as required.
- Review and assess the AML and reputational risk associated with new client and matter requests.
- Interact with partners and fee earners to collect mandatory documentation required to complete CDD successfully, reviewing and verifying documentation received.
- Perform client due diligence and screening for PEPs, Sanctions, Adverse Media etc., utilising a number of trusted industry sources.
- Disposition screening alerts making a determination on true or false matches, escalating if required.
- Thoroughly document research and analysis completed on clients and/or matters in a manner suitable for review by internal and external stakeholders e.g. Regulators, Audit, AML Compliance Manager.
- Perform and review client and matter risk assessments and make risk based decisions based on the analysis undertaken.
- Complete appropriate research in order to obtain a good understanding of a client’s business and related parties in order to monitor client’s activities for unusual transactions.
- Provide AML advice and support to internal stakeholders: Partners, Fee Earners, PAs.
- Perform investigations where there are ML/CTF suspicions regarding clients and/or matters and escalate findings clearly and concisely for internal review by the AML Compliance Manager, MLCO and MLRO.
- Manage relationships with key internal stakeholders: Partners, Fee Earners, PAs, Matter Management, New Business Intake, AML Compliance Manager, MLCO, MLRO.
- Act as a point of contact for the Firm's central New Business Intake team and other internal teams in order to resolve challenges with matter opening timely and efficiently.
- Periodically evaluate existing clients working with Partners and Fee Earners in order to keep CDD and risk assessments on client files up to date.
- Assist with any other AML Compliance related matters or projects as identified and assigned by the AML Compliance Manager.
About The Team
The Operations function provides the following services to the Firm:
- Support strategic decision-making from a risk management perspective
- Manage the Firm's exposure to risk via the early identification of possible Conflicts of Interest, Anti-Money Laundering / Know Your Client compliance issues, and employ risk mitigation strategies to minimize the Firm's exposure
- Manage Partner compliance to the provisions outlined in the Firm's Attorney Manual
- Manage risk connected to client contractual agreements with the Firm
- Support the Firm's client on-boarding and matter opening process
The key relationships of this role will be with the following:
- Deputy AML Compliance Manager
- AML Compliance Manager
- Matter Management Team
- Senior Risk & Compliance Associate
- Money Laundering Compliance Officer (MLCO)
- In-Market lawyers and management
- In-Market business teams
- New Business Intake
About The Candidate
Technical Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required (2:1 or above preferred)
- Law degree / LPC preferred
- Strong understanding of AML/CTF requirements and financial crime risks associated with the range of services in the legal industry
- Relevant AML experience, preferably in an international law firm (min. 1 year)
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Experience with AML/KYC/Due Diligence processes and systems
- Experience with AML monitoring and screening
- Ability to manage processes efficiently, with accuracy and attention to detail
- A recognized AML/Compliance qualification is desirable but not essential
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Strong decision-making capabilities
- Team player adaptable to a fast-paced and changing environment
- Good planning, time management, and prioritization skills
- Ability to work independently and also to liaise with other departments
- Must have good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and other Productivity Tools (Intapp knowledge is an advantage)
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self- reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Thomson Reuters (formerly Acritas' Sharplegal) Global Elite Law Firm Brand Index, 2010- 2022 - ranked 1st
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2021-2022: currently ranked 52nd
- Refinitiv (formerly Thomson Reuters) ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 15 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as one of the 400 Largest US Law Firms in in its annual survey in 2022.
- Identified as one of the Hall of Fame for best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, 2011-2021.
- Received a Gold Award on Stonewall's 2022 Global Workplace Equality Index of Top Global Employers for LGBTQ+ people
- Ranked as one of the Top 10 Employers in the 2022 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Received Double Certification for earning top marks in the 2022 Corporate Equality Index and Equidad MX of the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
- Winner of the Europe Mentorship Programme - International Firm award in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Europe Awards 2021
- In 2022, we won Career Development International Firm, Diverse Women Lawyers International Firm, Work-Life Balance International Firm, Innovative International Firm of the Year and Women in Business International law firm (WIBL Asia).
- Baker McKenzie has been awarded "Women in Business Law Firm of the Year" and "Career Development Firm of the Year" at the inaugural Euromoney Women in Business Law Global Awards 2022.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on +442070725731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.