We are currently seeking an ambitious, energetic and talented corporate Senior Associate, with at least 6 years PQE. A brief description of the role is set out below:
- Advise SWF's, private equity institutions, emerging growth and national and multinational corporations on cross-border M&A, private equity and venture capital transactions.
- Draft and negotiate key transaction documents (including share and asset purchase agreements, shareholders' agreements, disclosure letters and similar), manage teams running multi-jurisdictional due diligence and disclosure exercises and manage closings. Take responsibility for the provision of high quality client service.
- Work as part of a motivated and ambitious team to provide a seamless service to clients. Assist with the supervision of junior lawyers’ work and take an active role in sharing knowledge and experience with junior members of the team.
- Engage in business development activities by preparing proposals, attending industry conferences and events, writing industry articles and hosting client training.
- Senior Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given responsibility at an early stage.
- To the extent of interest, opportunities for secondments with clients can be explored. Also possible to explore a posting to offices in the broader firm network through our associate transfer programme.
- We do not have a 'face time' culture. Remote working and flexible working are possible and can be discussed.
The M&A team provides advice on private equity, public and private M&A and venture capital transactions. The role is exclusively focused on transactional work. We also work closely with our investment funds colleagues to ensure seamless service to our asset management client base. Clients include private equity funds, publically listed companies, sovereign wealth funds, financial institutions and major national and multinational corporations. Our practice is broad, and much of what we do is cross-border.
The UAE Corporate Team is a large team and we work across 6 key industry groups: Consumer Goods & Retail, Energy Mining & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Healthcare, Industrials, Manufacturing & Transportation, Technology, Media and Telecoms.
This position will be within the Corporate and M&A team. The Senior Associate will primarily work with private equity, M&A and public M&A team members based in the UAE, but there will be opportunity to work across the network. The practice is fast growing so there are significant prospects of career progression for the right candidate.
The emphasis is on developing well rounded, commercially aware, relationship-focused lawyers, who are interested in a long-term career in a global law firm.
Key Skills and Experience Required
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
- A qualified lawyer with excellent academic credentials.
- Current experience in the Corporate/M&A/Private Equity department of a leading international law firm. In exceptional cases, lawyers who are in-house but have significant M&A experience will also be considered.
- First rate technical skills needed to support the client work of the department.
- Native English communication skills. Arabic is helpful, but not a prerequisite.
- Experience in and strong understanding of corporate transactions.
- Strong client service orientation - a "client first" culture.
- Maturity, gravitas and emotional intelligence.
- High work standards.
- Flexible work practices.
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually.
- A keenness to learn.
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In the Gulf region Baker McKenzie has been active for more than three decades and our practice now boasts over 100 lawyers based in our seven offices in the Middle East – Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Cairo, Doha, Dubai, Jeddah, and Riyadh. As a pioneering firm, we were most notably the first to enter both the Saudi and Egyptian markets.
The firm has built established and substantial presence in the Middle East & Africa region, with all offices working in close collaboration to service clients’ needs on a range of matters, including banking and finance, project finance, Islamic finance, corporate/M&A and dispute resolution. We work closely with key local players — including governmental and regulatory entities, financial institutions, family-owned conglomerates and corporates across all industry sectors — as well with global investors and corporations establishing and consolidating their presence in the region.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla, we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply button on this advertisement to complete the application form.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla does not accept unsolicited CVs
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.