This is an exciting, greenfield opportunity to build and lead an all new EMEA Center within the Global Client Pursuits (GCP) team.
The GCP team enables the Firm to win, retain and grow business through powerful pitches. It is a large, high performing team with a robust infrastructure.
The EMEA Center will be a virtual Center combining proposals coordinators and supervisors based in EMEA and coordinators from our current GCP Centers in Manila and Buenos Aires.
The Centers are an integral part of the GCP function which is undergoing a dynamic transformation which includes alignment by region (EMEA, Americas and AP). Each region will combine a Center team and a team of pitch managers and specialists on the ground across the region.
The EMEA Center Manager's team of 10-12 (supervisors and coordinators) will work on BAU proposals and essential capability statements, in collaboration with BDMC colleagues, as well as get involved in the Firm's most strategic pitches, teaming with GCP pitch managers across the region.
The EMEA Center manager role will be to develop and oversee the team of supervisors and coordinators to deliver the highest quality pitch service leveraging the Firm's content automation platform.
The EMEA Center manager and team will also deliver a follow the sun service working with the Americas Center in Buenos Aires and the AP Center in Manila.
The EMEA Center manager will report to the GCP Senior Manager for Process and Operations who also oversees the Americas and AP Centers. The EMEA Center manager will also have a dual line report to the EMEA Regional leader who also leads the 15 strong team of pitch managers and specialists with whom the Center manager and coordinators will team on the Firm's most strategic mandates.
In collaboration with, the GCP Senior Manager for Process and Operations and the EMEA Regional Leader:
- Build and lead a team of supervisors and coordinators that will provide a high quality pitch service for the EMEA region and beyond, developing RFIs, RFPs, proposals, capability statements, and placemats working with GCP and BDMC colleagues.
- Collaborate with the intake team and fellow GCP assessment team members to assess and assign proposals to coordinators and supervisors.
- Generate and analyze daily and monthly request volume, team utilization metrics, SLAs, client satisfaction survey results, win/loss rates and post-pitch client feedback to help team and stakeholders understand ROI and where we should focus our efforts.
- Manage a portfolio of active pitch opportunities for end-to-end delivery to GCP, BDMC and partners, and ensure high quality standards consistent with the Baker McKenzie Style Guide, pitch templates, design guidelines, and client-centric instructions.
- Be accountable for the highest quality standards, process consistency and implement iterative improvement measures, and be the primary escalation point if issues arise.
- Collaborate on projects involving strategy and process to continually assist in the development of new operational process improvements across the team.
- Recruit, train, coach, and retain a robust talent pipeline across multiple locations (including Belfast, Manila, Buenos Aires).
- On occasion, to stay connected to the latest in pitching, operate as the project lead on some pitches, managing the proposals process from start to finish (writing and project management).
- Develop strong stakeholder relationships (partners, BD and GCP) to engage and manage expectations and be accountable for the team's high quality pitch service delivery.
- Provide guidance / contribute to opportunity assessment discussions where appropriate.
- Participate as needed on post-pitch debrief meetings feeding back key points to the business to facilitate further learning and development.
- Collaborate with Global Client Pursuits colleagues worldwide to follow the sun on pitches where needed and share best practice.
- Become deeply familiar with the Firm's resources and teams, leveraging the proposal process for bids/pitches and panel proposals for high value and key client opportunities.
- Collaborate with BDMC professionals worldwide including client managers, industry and practice group BDMs and in-market BDMs to leverage client intelligence, practice and industry know how, case studies and credentials.
- Be a change champion, while being an advocate for the team's physical and emotional well-being.
Mainly office based; occasional travel
About The Team
The BDMC function works closely with our Partners and leadership teams to:
- Increase our revenue, profitability and share across markets, industries and clients
- Enable us to win, retain and grow business through powerful pitches, engaging thought leadership and strong relationship management
- Lead market and client intelligence efforts to create new service line opportunities in industry and practice groups
- Channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity and culture through a single communications voice
This role will report to the GCP Senior Manager for Process and Operations, with dual-line reporting to EMEA Regional Leader.
The direct reports of this role will be with the Supervisors and coordinators.
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- GCP Regional leaders, pitch managers and specialists
- GCP Regional leaders, pitch managers and specialists
- GCP Strategy & Training Senior Manager
- GCP Content, Infrastructure and Automation Senior Manager GCP colleagues
- Partners and other attorneys
- BDMC colleagues including client managers, IGs, PGs, in-market, pricing
- Other Professional Business Services (PBS) colleagues
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 5 years of relevant people management experience, especially in a virtual and multi-cultural environment
- Significant hands-on experience in proposal development is a huge advantage
- MS Office, especially PowerPoint
- Experience with ServiceNow or other case management system is preferred
- Organisation, project management and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Extensive experience in BD/ communications in professional services.
Strong interpersonal skills to work with/manage remote teams of partners, lawyers and BD/marketing professionals
- Persuasive and diplomacy skills; ability to deal autonomously with highly intelligent and demanding stakeholders at all levels; manage multiple pitch requests, assess opportunities and provide direction
- Client service focus, flexibility, can-do attitude; motivated and enthusiastic; personal drive and energy
- Gravitas to coach and influence, and lead by example
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In the Gulf region Baker McKenzie has been active for more than three decades and our practice now boasts over 100 lawyers based in our seven offices in the Middle East - Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Cairo, Doha, Dubai, Jeddah, and Riyadh. As a pioneering firm, we were most notably the first to enter both the Saudi and Egyptian markets.
The firm has built established and substantial presence in the Middle East & Africa region, with all offices working in close collaboration to service clients' needs on a range of matters, including banking and finance, project finance, Islamic finance, corporate/M&A and dispute resolution. We work closely with key local players — including governmental and regulatory entities, financial institutions, family-owned conglomerates and corporates across all industry sectors — as well with global investors and corporations establishing and consolidating their presence in the region.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla, we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply button on this advertisement to complete the application form.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact, in confidence, Recruitment Manager on +97144230000.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla does not accept unsolicited CVs.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA - since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.