We are currently seeking an ambitious, energetic and talented senior lawyer to Head our Investigations practice in the UAE. The candidate would form part of a hugely successful Dispute Resolution practice and should have at least 12 years PQE and a broad investigation and white collar crime experience. This role will include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Evaluate, interprets, and delivers the appropriate case management services to assigned cases.
- Demonstrate strong business development initiative and competence through origination of and participation in seminars and other profile raising efforts; and
- Demonstrate collaboration and integration into the office, the practice group and the region.
- Active collaboration with key partners in the Dispute Resolution practice and other key groups.
- Actively participating in seeking to improve the Firm’s profile in the Dispute Resolution practice space, including seeking, with the Firm’ support, market recognition for high profile work on the Firm’s platform.
- Develop an effective leadership style, including effective coaching, feedback and mentoring skills.
- Serve as a role model making appropriate decisions on difficult ethical issues to others on ethical matters.
- Use appropriate project management including addressing tasks, structure, timelines, budget, resources, skills mix and diversity of team, involvement of other groups and offices and where appropriate works with LPM principles to plan and define assignments.
- Support and models flexible working, consistent with client expectations.
- Team up and collaborates with colleagues across the Firm
- Model and implements the Firm’s Diversity & Inclusion objectives through fair and inclusive processes, behaviours and decisions regarding talent.
- Prepare and update budgets for legal matters within OGC area of responsibility. Negotiate fees. Evaluate performance and review legal bills for accuracy and cost efficiency.
- Actively support Associates' continuous learning and development.
- Develop a reputation as an expert in own specific area(s).
The Dispute Resolution department delivers advise on all aspects of litigation, arbitration and dispute resolution. We advise on a variety of industry specific disputes including banking and finance, civil, commercial, criminal, insurance, employment, real estate, construction, maritime, intellectual property, DIFC and disputes with a cross-border or foreign element. We also advise on local and international arbitration and have a team of specialists qualified in various jurisdictions including England, France, Lebanon and elsewhere in the Middle East. We work closely with all of the main arbitration centers in the UAE and internationally. Our arbitration experience extends to ad-hoc arbitration proceedings, cross-border arbitration and arbitrations with a foreign element.
We have one of the most comprehensive dispute resolution offerings in the region, with one of the largest teams in the UAE and the only international firm to have full rights of audience before all UAE courts, the DIFC, free zone authorities and tribunals.
Our litigation and arbitration teams are comprised of Arabic as well as internationally qualified lawyers. We are also experienced in foreign jurisdictions and cross border litigation.
Our dispute resolution practice is led by Dr. Habib Al Mulla, one of the region’s foremost experts on arbitration. Andrew Mackenzie leads our arbitration department and has considerable experience in construction and real estate disputes.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- A qualified lawyer with excellent academic credentials.
- Current experience in the Dispute Resolution / Investigations department of a leading Band 1 firm.
- Exceptional ability to collect, analyze, and interpret qualitative and quantitative data and information, as well as strong analytic and problem solving skills, with a focus on process and project management.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively in a consensus-driven organization and to create consensus-based support for processes and outcomes, and to work effectively with highly motivated partner group.
- Strong case management and organisational skills, including disciplined approach towards timelines and tracking all steps required in order to implement the strategic approach.
- Excellent English communication skills (fluency in reading, writing, speaking and ability to translate and/or review translations), Arabic is a benefit.
- Strong client service orientation - a "client first" culture.
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship.
- Maturity, gravitas and emotional intelligence.
- High work standards.
- Flexible work practices.
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually.
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm.
- Qualified candidates will have the ability to function smoothly in a global team environment with culturally diverse team members.
- Candidates must be based in Abu Dhabi since the role is based in our Abu Dhabi office.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In the Gulf region Baker McKenzie has been active for more than three decades and our practice now boasts over 100 lawyers based in our seven offices in the Middle East – Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Cairo, Doha, Dubai, Jeddah, and Riyadh. As a pioneering firm, we were most notably the first to enter both the Saudi and Egyptian markets.
The firm has built established and substantial presence in the Middle East & Africa region, with all offices working in close collaboration to service clients’ needs on a range of matters, including banking and finance, project finance, Islamic finance, corporate/M&A and dispute resolution. We work closely with key local players — including governmental and regulatory entities, financial institutions, family-owned conglomerates and corporates across all industry sectors — as well with global investors and corporations establishing and consolidating their presence in the region.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla, we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply button on this advertisement to complete the application form.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact, in confidence, our Recruitment Manager on +971 4 423 0000.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla does not accept unsolicited CVs.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.