We are currently seeking an ambitious, energetic and talented corporate Mid Level Associate, with at least 3 to 6 years PQE. This role will include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Work closely with multiple clients to advice on large scale, complex cross-border UAE and GCC M&A and other corporate transactions (including private equity clients, SWFs, national and multinational corporations and regional funds and corporate conglomerates).
- Drafting and negotiating key transaction documents, taking control of due diligence and disclosure exercises and managing closings with other members of the team. Managing projects to a budget and taking responsibility for providing high level of client service.
- Advise on key transaction documents for a variety of deals (such as shareholders' agreements, joint venture agreements, share sale and purchase agreements and ancillary documentation.
- Developing relationships with clients including gaining a good knowledge of the client’s businesses, economic drivers, market and sector requirements in order to ensure advice is relevant and commercial.
- Working as part of a team including assisting with the supervision of junior lawyers’ work, and taking an active part in sharing knowledge and experience with the team
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation.
- There are regular opportunities for secondments with clients. Posting to other offices under the firm's associate transfer programme is also a possibility.
- Advise on UAE and GCC foreign investment regulations and licensing processes.
- Engaging in business development activities and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work principally through supporting the Partners team.
The Corporate department provides high level of M&A (public and private) services to a wide range of clients as well as advisory services covering a wide-range of corporate/commercial matters including foreign investment, capital markets, competition, commercial and regulatory, real estate, government contracts, commercial agency and franchising, to a wide range of clients. Clients include private equity funds, publically listed companies, sovereign wealth funds, financial institutions and major national and multinational corporations. Our practice is broad, and much of what we do is cross-border.
The UAE Corporate Team is a large team and we work across 6 key industry groups: Consumer Goods & Retail, Energy Mining & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Healthcare, Industrials, Manufacturing & Transportation, Technology, Media and Telecoms.
Our key differentiator is our Lawyers who collaborate across borders, markets and industries around the globe. Our Lawyers embrace new ideas and emerging technologies to give businesses confidence in these uncertain times.
This position will be within the Corporate M&A team. The Junior Associate will primarily support our Corporate Team in UAE. As the Practice is fast growing, the prospects of career promotion are promising for the right candidate.
The emphasis is on developing well rounded, commercially aware, relationship-focused lawyers, who are interested in a long-term career in a global law firm.
Key Skills and Experience Required
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
- A qualified lawyer with excellent academic credentials
- Current experience in the Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions department of a leading firm
- First rate technical skills needed to support the client work of the department
- Excellent English communication skills (fluency in reading, writing, speaking and ability to translate and/or review translations), Arabic is a benefit
- Experience in and strong understanding of corporate transactions
- Commerciality and demonstrable business development experience
- Strong client service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
- Maturity, gravitas and emotional intelligence
- High work standards
- Flexible work practices
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- A keenness to learn
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
- Qualified candidates will have the ability to function smoothly in a global team environment with culturally diverse team members
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In the Gulf region Baker McKenzie has been active for more than three decades and our practice now boasts over 100 lawyers based in our seven offices in the Middle East – Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Cairo, Doha, Dubai, Jeddah, and Riyadh. As a pioneering firm, we were most notably the first to enter both the Saudi and Egyptian markets.
The firm has built established and substantial presence in the Middle East & Africa region, with all offices working in close collaboration to service clients’ needs on a range of matters, including banking and finance, project finance, Islamic finance, corporate/M&A and dispute resolution. We work closely with key local players — including governmental and regulatory entities, financial institutions, family-owned conglomerates and corporates across all industry sectors — as well with global investors and corporations establishing and consolidating their presence in the region.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla, we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply button on this advertisement to complete the application form.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact, in confidence, Recruitment Manager on +97144230000.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla does not accept unsolicited CVs.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.