The Real Estate department is an integral part of Baker McKenzie's Stockholm Office and has been involved in several high profile deals in recent years.
Our Real Estate team advises on a wide range of property matters specialising in the areas of:
- High value investment acquisitions; renewable energy sector and pure property transactions;
- Real estate financings;
- Hotels and leisure sector transactions and development;
- Complex commercial leasing;
- Planning and sustainability matters;
- Real estate input into M&A transactions;
- Real estate input into IPOs.
The team acts for a diverse range of high profile clients in the corporate and financial arena and its primary client base comprises multinational corporates, foreign investment, financial institutions and private equity houses across a wide range of sectors, including technology, media, telecoms, energy, mining, oil and gas, chemicals, construction, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology.
In recent years, within the department, there has been a particular focus on international inbound investment into Stockholm and Sweden in addition to their usual work for the Firm's international clients. The team is small and works as a cohesive team with specialist lawyers in other teams particularly Banking & Finance and Capital Markets, in both the Stockholm office and globally. The team combines an extremely high level of real estate expertise that focuses on delivering clear, commercial and pragmatic advice. The successful candidate would be working within this supportive and collegiate environment.
We are currently seeking an ambitious and talented Senior Associate, looking for a challenging and rewarding leadership role with the opportunity to grow into a partner role. Our Real Estate practice is growing and therefore interested applicants should have an entrepreneurial mind-set, be able to demonstrate exemplary technical skills and relish the opportunity to join a truly unique and successful global real estate team.
The role will involve:
- Advising local and overseas investors on Swedish real estate transactions, ideally with a renewable energy focus
- Advising and supporting leading multi-national corporates with their occupational requirements in Sweden
- Working closely with the Stockholm office Banking & Finance and Capital Markets teams, managing real estate finance transactions and leveraging our transactional capabilities
- Working closely with the Stockholm office Corporate team in the management and implementation of multi-jurisdictional mergers and acquisitions
- Expanding existing relationships with clients, including understanding clients' businesses, economic drivers, markets, and sectors in order to deliver relevant and commercial advice and contribute to growing the relationship and winning further work
- Engaging in business development activities, and being active in the promotion of the fFirm and seeking opportunities for new work
- Responsibility for the day to day management of the team and taking an active role in sharing knowledge and experience.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- A qualified lawyer with excellent academics
- Substantial experience of commercial real estate gained within an international or larger law firm
- Ability to manage and develop others
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Initiative, proactivity and an entrepreneurial mind-set
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients
- High work standards
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- Swedish market real estate experience with an interest in renewable energy
- Experience of complex real estate transactions
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong service orientation, with good client management skills
- Flexible work practices and ability to adapt style as required
- Open and co-operative attitude with professional outlook
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In Stockholm you will be part of a just above 100 person office. Originally opened in 1991, Baker McKenzie Stockholm is well established in Sweden as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the Firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st.
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Senior Recruitment Officer, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
No agencies please
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in Stockholm by active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women’s Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!