Our Banking & Finance department is seeking a Mid-Senior Associate to join their team, which currently comprises 2 partners, 4associates and 1 trainee.
We are looking for a Mid-level or Senior Associate who has a passion to participate in growing the practice and is keen to develop their career within a collaborative and collegiate environment.
This position would suit an individual who is looking for something different, has entrepreneurial flair and is ready to take their career to the next level.
- Advising clients on a wide range of matters, with a particular focus on syndicated loans, acquisition finance, leveraged finance, restructuring & insolvency, trade finance and general banking & finance matters
- Associates in the team work in a collegiate environment, not only for a single partner, and can expect a good variety of work
- Collaborating closely with other teams in the firm, including corporate, regulatory, tax, competition and other relevant practice areas to help reduce risk and optimize value for the client throughout the deal life cycle
- Collaborating closely with client deal teams and industry specialists to help design practical and strategic solutions to legal and commercial concerns
- Developing relationships with clients including gaining a good knowledge of the client’s businesses, economic drivers, market and sector requirements in order to ensure advice is relevant and commercial
- Engaging in business development activities and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work
- Working as part of a team including assisting with the supervision of junior lawyers’ work, and taking an active part in sharing knowledge and experience with the team
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation.
- There are regular opportunities for secondments with clients. Posting to other offices under the firm's associate transfer programme is also a possibility.
Key Skills and Experience Required
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
- A qualified lawyer with excellent academic credentials
- Current experience in the Banking & Finance department of a leading firm
- Experience in the areas that the team focusses on, namely syndicated loans, acquisition finance, leveraged finance, restructuring & insolvency, trade finance and general banking & finance
- First rate technical skills needed to support the client work of the department
- Commerciality and demonstrable business development experience
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Maturity, gravitas, emotional intelligence
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
- High work standards
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- A keenness to learn
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In Johannesburg you will be part of an office with around 100 people. Originally opened in 2012, Baker McKenzie South Africa is well established in South Africa as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Senior Recruitment Officer, on +44 207072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisationswork best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The Johannesburg office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any),gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.