To manage all recruitment activities including both fee earner and PBS, ensuring a first class recruitment process and candidate experience which is designed to deliver high quality, diverse talent, which supports our Diversity & Inclusion strategy and ensures the Firm's market reputation as an employer of choice.
The role will also be involved in the management and delivery of a number of strategic recruitment projects both locally and working as part of the EMEA+ Recruitment Team.
- Manage and execute associate / fee-earner recruitment, graduate recruitment (and associated programmes and activity) and PBS recruitment
- Drive creative sourcing methodologies, reducing dependency on agencies and focusing on direct sourcing in support of the direct hiring strategy across all populations
- Lead and/or actively participate in one recruitment work-stream and the agreed sub-streams to develop and implement recruitment objectives, whilst ensuring recruiting professionals are aligned on recruitment execution
- Ensure effective coordination with functional teams across all service level requests to ensure support is seamless, efficient and provides high quality candidate experience
- Effectively and proactively manage all internal and external relationships, developing trusted advisor status - ensure all internal clients are kept fully informed around the status of their vacancies, working closely with stakeholders to ensure a first class recruitment experience; ensure external contacts, including recruitment agencies / head-hunters and candidates are kept up to date with progress and of any wider firm updates and appropriate communications / collateral to support the Firm's brand as an employer of choice and to ensure a first class recruitment experience
- Provide support, as and when required, to the Recruitment Leadership Team and work collaboratively as part of a regional Recruitment team, assisting other offices on recruitment activity and projects.
- Ensure that recruitment activities and initiatives support and are aligned to the Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) strategy of the Firm and that D&I is embedded in all processes. Support implementation of innovative strategies to attract diverse candidates
- Conducting reviews of processes and procedures to ensure Baker McKenzie reflects recruitment best practice whilst ensuring that externally, Baker McKenzie is the employer of choice in the legal market
- Provide regular MI reporting, metrics and status updates as required to key stakeholders, including the Recruitment Leadership Team
- Work closely with Talent Management to ensure seamless transition post acceptance, providing a first class candidate experience
- Network with Firm partners, legal recruiters and other law firm recruitment professionals in an effort to stay abreast of trends and activity in the legal community
- Mentor and develop junior recruitment professionals, as required
Compliance and Governance
- Complies with statutory reports including Employment Equity and Skills Development reporting
Some travel within South Africa
About The Team
The Firm’s People function has responsibility for recruiting, supporting and developing all of the Firm’s people, including our Partners, Lawyers and Professional & Business Services, working closely with the Firm’s leadership to design and deliver the Firm’s people strategy, building on the Firm’s core commitments to collaboration, excellence and inclusivity. The function includes:
- Talent Management
- Recruitment & Mobility
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Leadership & Learning
- Careers, Performance and Rewards
This role will report directly to the Associate Director of Recruitment EMEA+.
The key relationships of this role will be with the following:
- Johannesburg Office Leadership
- Recruitment Leadership, including Director of Recruitment, EMEA/+
- Practice Group Leads and other Department Heads
- PBS Department Leadership
- Wider EMEA+ Recruitment Team
- EMEA+ Talent Team
- Global End to End Services
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 6-8 years’ experience as a Recruitment professional ideally in a professional services firm environment within the South African market
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to interact and influence at the highest levels of the Firm
- Ability to implement success in creating an environment of trust with partners; effectively utilize negotiation and conflict resolution skills when needed
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and drive results with a sense of urgency in setting strategies and executing against the objectives
- Strong coaching, counselling, business acumen, and overall communication skills
- Commercial understanding and ability to translate business goals into Recruitment priorities
- Influencing skills to establish senior level credibility
- Strong client relationships skills; able to manage the diversity of multiple leader relationships and serve their needs without compromising service levels
- Ability to build rapport at all levels
- Strong delivery focus
- A can do attitude
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organisation, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people -regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age - to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 70725731 or Vanessa.Renforth@Bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.