We are seeking an ambitious, bright and talented junior to mid-level Associate with two to four years PQE to join a dynamic and motivated Technology and Data practice in Johannesburg, working on some of the highest quality and most exciting work the market has to offer.
The role will have the following core focus:
- Advice and support in respect of ECS and ECNS licensing, including licence application, regulatory process, policy, legislative and regulatory initiatives
- Licensing and distribution agreements for all platforms: TVOD, pay television, SVOD, free television and libraries
- Advisory on social media, takedown notices and policy drafting
- IP Clearance
- Commercial arrangements, agreements and transactions in respect of the electronic sale of (i) physical goods, (ii) digital goods and (iii) services (B2C, B2B, C2C, C2B and B2G)
- Data privacy and GDPR
- Cybersecurity in terms of payments, transactions
- Setting up corporate vehicles and arrangements for commercial exploitation of IP
- Exchange control in respect of inbound and outbound royalty arrangements (DTI and SARB) and export of intellectual property
- Lobbying and commenting on new legislation
Key Skills and Experience Required
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
- A qualified lawyer with excellent academic credentials
- Current experience in the Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions department of a leading firm
- First rate technical skills needed to support the client work of the department
- Commerciality and demonstrable business development experience
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Maturity and gravitas
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
- High work standards
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- A keenness to learn
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In Johannesburg you will be part of an office with over 100 people. Originally opened in 2012, Baker McKenzie South Africa is well established in South Africa as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie, we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply button on this advertisement to complete the application form.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact, in confidence, Recruitment Manager on +2711 911 4300
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA - since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The Johannesburg office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.