To work with the Director of Pricing to design, build and develop client budgets and implementation of legal service and pricing strategies to provide alignment to clients' needs and meet Firm profitability goals for the EMEA region; work directly with existing and prospective clients in the region on developing service delivery models, fee arrangements, analytics and tools aligned to their business goals.
To work with the Director of Pricing to develop value-based fee structures including alternative fee structures and work closely with members of the firm’s Finance team to develop metrics and tools for measuring profitability and the impact of the Firm’s pricing strategies; assist in creation of the Firm’s performance monitoring and reporting, help optimize client service delivery models, and develop metrics that allow clients to qualify and quantify the value they are realizing through partnering with the Firm.
To work closely with the Business Development team in the region in preparing client Requests for Proposals (RFPs); collaborate with Partners, Firm leadership, senior management, marketing, finance and IT on coordination and relationship management of key client relationships.
- Work in close cooperation with Director of Pricing to enhance and implement standardized pricing capabilities and governance
- Work with the team in the region to implement a pricing program to support matter management, particularly for those matters with budgets or other alternative fee arrangements
- Engage and assist in rate and fee conversations and negotiations directly with key clients and in cooperation with Firm Partners for the EMEA region
- Collaboratively develop fee options in partnership with clients
- Work with the Director of Pricing to drive alignment between client needs and initiatives with the resources of the Firm including, but not limited to value based billing, alternative fee arrangements, pricing, legal service delivery, new product development and innovation
- Act as a sophisticated purchaser in the EMEA region on behalf of clients' legal operations, creating value based fee structures according to the client needs and expectations
- Implement the Firm’s global pricing strategy in the EMEA region creating pricing models that align price with the value of individual client arrangements
- Work with and guide the client financial analysis team in the preparation of client fee arrangements; create competitive pricing proposals by analyzing historical cost data, leverage, and matter information
- Assist in analysis of existing client relationships and comparable arrangements to offer pricing alternatives that provide predictability to the clients and meet Firm profitability goals
- Develop economic models to assess the profitability of new business proposals and assist in the development of creative pricing solutions
- Work with the Director of Pricing to oversee the financial and pricing responses for client RFP submissions and other client pitch materials in the EMEA region
- Support existing technologies to support pricing and reporting strategy and metrics to track performance against budget and financial standards, both for individual matters and overall client relationships; utilize the technologies available to drive efficiencies for the Firm and its clients
- Participate in client meetings in the region to determine client needs at the macro level as well as the practice and matter level when appropriate
- Monitor profit margins for client fee arrangements to ensure that the Firm stays on track to complete legal matters profitability
- Work closely with members of the Finance function and practice management teams to ensure that proposed AFAs for specific engagements are aligned with the Firm’s overall objectives and expectations for each matter
Some travel within the EMEA region to join in-person team meetings, some annual meetings, client project meetings and eventually other internal and external events related to the legal management function.
About The Team
The Firm's Services function works closely with our Partners and fee-earners to deliver comprehensive, high quality and high value services to our clients. It is geared towards improving operational and financial performance, and constantly rethinking the services we offer, as well as developing new innovative solutions and platforms. The core teams within Services are:
- Business Management
- Legal Project Management
- Pricing Strategy
- Service Design
- Alternative Legal Services
- Global eDiscovery and Data Advisory
This role will be reporting to the Director of Pricing.
The direct reports of this role will be the In-Market Pricing Analysts.
The key relationships of this role are with the following teams:
- Client Service Teams in the region
- Finance teams in the region
- Practice Group Leaders in the region
- Business Development Marketing & Communications teams
- Other teams within the Services function such as Business Management, Legal Project Management, Alternative Legal Services and Service Design
About The Candidate
Technical Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant undergraduate degree required; an MBA is strongly preferred
- Significant experience of pricing strategy with good management experience in a global setting, ideally in a professional services environment
- Proficiency in law firm operations, legal accounting and finance
- Strong understanding of the elements of law firm profitability at practice group, service line, client, matter and attorney level
- Rigorous integrated analytical and financial management skills
- High level of familiarity with, or an aptitude for development of, market practices relative to pricing, legal project management, practice innovation approaches and partnering with emerging providers within a law firm setting; awareness of technology applicable to the function; demonstrated knowledge of the global marketplace for legal and professional services
- Outstanding communication skills
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work collaboratively with senior-level professionals to help them succeed in meeting their business development objectives
- Ability to work independently; willingness to work hands-on to achieve objectives in a relatively flat organizational structure
- Fluent in spoken and written English
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2019 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Acritas recognized the Firm as the world’s strongest legal brand for the ninth year in a row.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- The Firm was honoured to be one of Stonewall's 2019 Top Global Employers and the top Global LGBT+ Network of the Year, as well as one of only 10 employers to feature in the 'Top Trans Employer' listing for a second consecutive year.
- Social Mobility Employer Index, 2019 - ranked 5th
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Senior Recruitment Officer, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.