The Media Relations Lead, EMEA will be a senior member of the firm's Marketing and Communications Studio, and wider BDMC team, focusing on advancing the firm's Client and Market Strategy through visibility and credibility in global and EMEA tier 1 media while helping to coordinate efforts and support those with media relations responsibilities across the EMEA region.
The role holder will play a leading role in media relations strategy, including proactive media outreach with key global and regional business and legal media outlets/journalists (primarily those based in EMEA), and working with marketing and BD colleagues to leverage global and regional research, data and other content.
We expect the role holder to have a targeted portfolio of focus Practice, Industry, and/or Client Solution responsibilities, working with the Lead Partners in each group.
The role holder will work closely with the London in-market team on global and regional initiatives that involve London-based leadership, media outlets, and organizations.
- Work closely with the Director of Media Relations & Public Affairs to support the implementation of a market-leading Media Relations strategy aligned to the strategic objectives of the Firm
- Agree and advise on relevant press contacts, media distribution channels, and press outlets for content to target key audiences
- Plan involvement in forward features, focused on the Firm’s 'Solutions for a Connected World' value proposition, and agree on potential involvement with the relevant BD teams
- Develop deep and lasting relationships across the Media Relations team, MarComms Studio, and BDMC to function more broadly and directly with partners
- Support in the delivery of a program of targeted activity with key media, journalists, editors, and reporters to drive coverage across the Firm’s target practice groups and geographies
- Build strong relationships with key spokespeople, particularly partners across the EMEA region
- Write, edit and repurpose compelling press releases, blogs, bylines, press commentary, and other copy
- Adopt a proactive approach to sourcing & creating media opportunities
- Monitor hot topics to keep front and center of mind in the media with the Firm’s key clients and markets
- Support in the delivery of cross-functional Media Relations projects
- Arrange for translation into relevant local languages when necessary
- Ensure that all messaging and tone of voice in all external communications are aligned to the Firm’s brand
- Manage and filter inquiries received by the Press Office, dealing with queries or directing calls to relevant colleagues
- Develop a process for quality control, approving and signing off press releases before distribution
- Assist in the implementation of a programme of media training for new and existing partners and leaders
- Keep up to date with competitor activity, and coverage and benchmark the Firm’s media profile against competitors
- Track and monitor press and media coverage
- Support in the reporting of KPIs to demonstrate value, return on investment, and delivery of service excellence
- Share and promote successes and achievements and develop a strong culture of collaboration and support within the team
- Graduate degree in Communications / Journalism or related discipline
- Must be able to write compelling copy, when needed, to react to rapid change or crisis
- A communications expert, with significant experience operating at a senior level within a high profile, dynamic and fast-moving organization, ideally in professional services
- Strong project management skills with significant experience leading large-scale projects and the ability to manage competing priorities
- A strong level of experience working in public/media relations
- A proven track record of successfully writing and placing outstanding communications and driving external reputation and company visibility across multiple channels
- Channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity, and culture through a single communications voice