Any Baker McKenzie Office or Center in EMEA
To work collaboratively with the Firm and provide direction and management to key stakeholders across the People function and Business Development to accelerate Inclusion & Diversity (I&D) initiatives in the EMEA region.
To work closely with the Director of EMEA I&D and other Partners and senior Business Professional leaders to be responsible for planning, managing, developing and implementing the Firm's I&D strategy, initiatives, metrics and policies in the EMEA region.
To collaborate with colleagues across the Firm's network on global programs including wellbeing, gender targets, social mobility and race and ethnicity and localise strategic global projects.
- Work in partnership with the Director of EMEA I&D and global I&D team to design and implement internal I&D organizational structures (to include metrics, toolkits, templates, databases, technology solutions, etc.) to integrate I&D into the Firm's office matrix
- Contribute to the development and implementation of innovative methods and ideas to advance and implement inclusion and diversity initiatives throughout EMEA and EMEA+ in collaboration with the regional People Talent teams and Management teams
- Partner with HR Talent teams to oversee I&D in pipeline considerations to support the GATs and other diversity targets
- Create a light touch governance model that allows connectivity to all the various local diversity affinity groups that allows for EMEA collaboration, sharing and reporting e.g. creating a forum that allows a representative from all the BakerWomen/BakerDiversity groups to share activity
- Manage and work closely with local office I&D Committees to ensure that initiatives and programs are planned out for each year, with input and contribution aligned to the regional and global plan
- Provide thought leadership and content and deliver I&D programming in workshops, seminars, presentation and retreats both internally and externally
- Lead large and small scale I&D events across the region, including designing I&D sessions at regional meetings alongside the Director of EMEA I&D and Chief Inclusion Officer
- Create I&D materials both client focused and internal and build relationships with Business Development, Marketing and Communications and with People Analytics team
- Build relationships with lawyers and business service professionals at the Firm, internal diversity leaders, diversity professionals at peer firms, leaders of diversity organizations and Bar associations, and diversity professionals at clients to build the Firm's profile as a I&D leader, including attending diversity conferences and joining panels
- Manage and oversee the response to diversity surveys and client requests, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of information; design and develop business reports and innovative client activity
- Compile, analyze and maintain internal and external I&D related data and metrics; oversee work of I&D team members to ensure data credibility when publishing to clients and other stakeholders
- Working with the Director of EMEA I&D collaboratively manage the EMEA I&D budget
- Perform such other duties as assigned or requested\
The role will require occasional travel
About the People Team
The Firm’s People function has responsibility for recruiting, supporting and developing all of the Firm’s people, including our Partners, Lawyers and Professional & Business Services, working closely with the Firm’s leadership to design and deliver the Firm’s people strategy, building on the Firm’s core commitments to collaboration, excellence and inclusivity. The function includes:
- Talent Management
- Recruitment & Mobility
- Inclusion & Diversity
- Leadership & Learning
- Careers & Performance
- Partner Services
- Total Rewards
This role will report to the Director Inclusion & Diversity - EMEA.
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- Inclusion & Diversity Team
- Talent Management & Recruitment teams in EMEA and EMEA+ region
- Leadership in the EMEA and EMEA+ region
- Members of the Global Inclusion & Diversity Leadership and other I&D Committees in the EMEA and EMEA+ region
- Colleagues in the People function in the EMEA and EMEA+ region and globally
- PBS colleagues across the global Firm
About The Candidate
Technical Skills, qualifications and experience:
- Proven interest and passion for the field of inclusion and diversity with strong demonstrable experience of operationalizing inclusion initiatives
- Strong data analytics skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and create work opportunities and executing against strategic and individual deliverables
- Strong organization skills, including setting priorities, structuring project deliverables, ability to manage multiple priorities and strategic planning
- Strong coaching, relationship management and problem solving skills and overall communication skills with strong attention to detail
- Experience working across multiple locations and jurisdictions
- Strong computer literacy, including Excel to support data analytics
- Fluent spoken and written English
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 70725731 or Vanessa.Renforth@Bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.