The HR Generalist role provides an exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to build their HR experience. The HR Generalist will work closely with the HR Manager to build and develop relationships within the business and to collectively deliver an excellent level of operational client service.
- Work alongside with HR Manager and support the local Talent Function, Leadership, Regional Talent Management and End-to-End Services to deliver Talent Management services across Cairo office, understanding local market needs and dynamics across practice groups and professional business services (PBS) functions
- Act as an employee relations specialist and work with the HR Manager to resolve complex human resources/talent management issues and sensitive employee relations issues.
- Managing the probation review process which includes monitoring probationary review dates, coordinating the completion of the review form with line manager, keeping master tracker updated and drafting end of probation letters (HR Manager to sign off).
- Processing any relevant people changes (such as job title/department change) on Office HR system and drafting letters, as required (HR Manager to sign off).
- Supporting the HR Manager with administrative tasks for receiving and sending of secondees to and from clients.
- Work together with the HR Manager to coordinate the Performance Review and Compensation Review process for Partners, Associates and PBS.
- Work closely with HR Manager to Create New Hire Request Form for any fee earner or business services vacancies and work in consultation with the Manager and PG BM / HR or PBS functional leader to devise a business case.
- Responsible for briefing the Recruitment Manger on resourcing requirements for time keeper and non-timekeeper populations with a focus on attracting and hiring diverse talent
- Process offer letters for all candidates, gather all the hiring documents.
- Developing Induction booklets to be handed to new hires
- Managing the new joiner process, this involves preparing the induction plan including meeting scheduling and buddy arrangement in liaison with line manager, sending welcome email (including welcome pack & joining details), collecting relevant new joiner documentation, creating employee staff file on IManage, adding new joiner details to Gulf HR, ensuring logistical arrangements are organised in conjunction with relevant business services departments (desk, access card etc) and inform HR Operations Manager re medical and life insurance enrolment.
- Set up new hires in SAP & Hits by completing all the necessary information, and Set the new hires billing rates in SAP.
- Complete employees' social insurance form 1 for new hires, as well social insurance form 6 for terminated employees.
- Coordinate with Bank to Open accounts for new hires, also Assist employees in all the bank matters (loans,.. etc.).
- Complete employee exit documentation and clearance form.
Training & Development / Internship Programme:
- Employee orientation, development, and training i.e. Time recording Training.
- Handling training needs assessment.
- Assist in creating annual training budget.
- Manage the internship program through searching for the qualified candidates.
- Develop Interns' database including a feedback to facilitate recalling them.
- Manage Interns attendance.
- Manage interns' payment if applicable.
- Monitor interns' performance during working hours.
- Collecting interns' timesheets.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Prepare the monthly payroll through:
- Maintains payroll processing system and records by gathering, calculating, and inputting data.
- Monitor and handle changes in lawyers Tax status & apply it to their monthly salary. (i.e. end of tax exemption period).
- Monitor and handle any status changes (tax status, payroll group change i.e. from staff to lawyer, contract type change)
- Editing cost centres in SAP upon status change.
- Receives and coordinates requests for leaves, permissions and other absences.
- Input employees vacations & permissions (Sick leaves, annual leaves, unpaid leaves).
- Calculating employees overtime according to the office policy.
- Prepare cheque request forms for interns and staff who will be payed by cheques.
- Prepare the payroll package to be reviewed/signed then file it.
- Complete payroll reports for record-keeping purposes or managerial review.
- Complete Social insurance form 2 to be handed to the social insurance authority.
- May conduct surveys regarding compensation and benefits or other human resources issues.
- Annually review compensation structure and compare to market data.
- Develop effective HR policies in line with legislation whilst meeting business needs
- Answers initial employee inquiries concerning policy or rule application.
- Maintain Human Resource Information System records and personnel files.
- Responsible for the attendance system.
- Monitor vacations and send vacation balances for all employees.
- Other functions that may be assigned.
- Leading or assisting with ad hoc project work as directed by HR Manager.
- Responsible for translating staff communications in Arabic
About The Team
The Firm’s People function has responsibility for recruiting, supporting and developing all of the Firm’s people, including our Partners, Lawyers and Professional & Business Services, working closely with the Firm’s leadership to design and deliver the Firm’s people strategy, building on the Firm’s core commitments to collaboration, excellence and inclusivity.
This role will report to the HR Manager.
The key relationships of this role will be with the following:
- People Function Team
- PBS colleagues across the Firm
- Fee Earners
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree focusing on Human Resources, Industrial Psychology, Organizational Development, Management, or other related areas
- Fluency in English with strong written and oral skills in a professional environment.
- Strong administration and organisational skills.
Previous experience with HR systems.
- Ability to work autonomously and in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to plan, schedule and arrange own activities to accomplish objectives.
- Strong client service and delivery focus.
- Attention to detail and commitment to maintaining data integrity.
- Collaborative approach, effectively working with others to achieve team success.
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm.
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In the Gulf region Baker McKenzie has been active for more than three decades and our practice now boasts over 100 lawyers based in our seven offices in the Middle East - Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Cairo, Doha, Dubai, Jeddah, and Riyadh. As a pioneering firm, we were most notably the first to enter both the Saudi and Egyptian markets.
The firm has built established and substantial presence in the Middle East & Africa region, with all offices working in close collaboration to service clients' needs on a range of matters, including banking and finance, project finance, Islamic finance, corporate/M&A and dispute resolution. We work closely with key local players — including governmental and regulatory entities, financial institutions, family-owned conglomerates and corporates across all industry sectors — as well with global investors and corporations establishing and consolidating their presence in the region.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
We welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply button on this advertisement to complete the application form.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact, in confidence, Recruitment Manager on +97144230000.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note we do not accept unsolicited CVs.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organisation, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people - regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, disability or age - to fulfil their professional aspirations with us