Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organization, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people - regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age - to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.
Baker McKenzie Belgium has two offices, one in Brussels and one in Antwerp with a headcount over 130 people, of which over 80 are lawyers.
The Business Development, Marketing & Communications team is part of a strong central Marketing & Business Development function that is positioned at the heart of the business, and plays a strong role assisting Partners to:
- Enhance and protect market profile and brand
- Win targeted new work and clients
- Build client relationships
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT ADVISOR
We are looking for a Business Development Advisor to join the BDMC department in Brussels.
Working closely with both the local and international Business Development & Marketing colleagues and the Partners of the firm, this position reports to the BDMC Manager in Brussels and plays a key role in all client development activities with a view to increase the market profile of the Firm.
Our new colleague is capable of building successful relationships in the Brussels and Antwerp offices, and beyond to:
- Support the Belgian priority clients
- Support in evaluating the existing client base to identify significant opportunities for growth.
- Create key account plans for target clients, centered on the needs and expectations of the client.
- Coach on good strategic account management processes and facilitate the roll out of other new best practices or standards.
- Facilitate closer coordination and alignment of the Industry Groups:
- Assist to create and maintain a matrix of all major client development activities per predetermined Industry Group (client conference programs, relationship reviews, pitches and other service proposals, etc.).
- Assist to create and maintain all major development activities on behalf of a portfolio of target clients per Industry Group.
- Assist to conduct an increased number of client reviews and provide guidance and training at practice group, industry group and office-level as required.
- Undertake an active role in pitches and in the management of a number of client relationships, working with partners and teams to develop deep knowledge of our relationships with clients. Specifically:
- Take a leading role in the preparation of major pitches, requests for proposals and other types of tenders.
- Provide guidance and advice with respect to major pitches and tenders run by practice groups, industry groups and other offices or teams.
- Develop and drive the implementation of annual client plans.
- Conduct client relationship reviews and, where relevant, post transaction / matter reviews and pitch debriefs.
Marketing & Communication
As part of the BDMC team, you will also be involved in promoting our marketing campaigns, Clients Alerts, internal and external communications (including social media), and internal and external events where needed.
As an enthusiastic team focused, pragmatic and detail-oriented Business Development Advisor, you will be part of the Client Development Team (which is part of our larger Business Development, Marketing and Communication Team). You have the following technical skills, qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor degree (preferably law, business or marketing degree);
- 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience in a legal or related professional services environment (preferably with a background as a Lawyer, Tax Advisor, Bid Manager or Business Development Advisor);
- First-class English written and verbal communication skills and outstanding attention to detail. Knowledge of French and/or Dutch is a real asset;
- Experience with writing pitches and with pitching itself;
- Proficient in various MS office applications including but not limited to Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel
- Able to bring good judgement and empathy to sensitive situations;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to successfully manage internal and external relationships and projects across a global organization;
- Savvy in understanding and adapting to the expectations and the needs of different cultures across the Firm;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to readjust and reorganize plans and deal and manage change in a professional services environment.
- Experience working in an international organization is a plus
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
- You will join a leading international firm and work across borders with passionate and enthusiastic colleagues.
- You will experience our unique culture where diversity & inclusion is promoted for all.
- You will work together with enthusiastic, passionate and trusted colleagues to instil confidence in our clients.
- You will be provided various opportunities to grow, develop your skills and career as well as an attractive compensation package, including fringe benefits.