Baker McKenzie is investing in building a new capability: uniting data, science, internal and external data, machine learning and legal domain expertise to create new value for our firm, our clients and our communities. At the centre of the firm’s Reinvent Strategy, this role is at the cutting edge of innovation in the legal services industry. Enjoying the sponsorship of the Firm's Research and Development Partner, Ben Allgrove as well as the resources of one of the world's largest law firms (including a dedicated team and budget), you will be there from the beginning to lead the team, shape the strategy, design solutions and execute them.
Specifically, we are targeting three key objectives:
- AI-powered legal services
- Leveraging augmented analytics technologies and data science to develop and provide new services to our clients. Our aim is to deliver machine learning enabled judgement.
- Social Impact at Scale
- Amplifying social impact initiatives with machine learning-driven research and analysis.
- Internal Transformation
- Incorporating data-driven insights and machine learning across the Firm's legal and commercial operations as part of our continuing digital transformation. This will focus on developing and deploying new models to boost the insight, speed and accuracy of our own machine learning enabled decision-making.
As a Co- Founder (we anticipate the appointment of two Founders with complementary skillsets), you will initially focus on building out the team and in-house expertise required to leverage the technology, supported by our machine learning partners at SparkBeyond.
You will develop an in-depth understanding of our clients' needs in this space, supported by our in-house design thinking team. You will lead ideation, recommend use cases to prioritise for exploration and deliver pilot projects with clients, designing the best business models in the process.
You will liaise with client Partners and Practice- and Industry Groups to develop and sell the client-facing proposition as well as shape the team’s identity and brand in the market.
We know this will take time and commitment. As such, the Firm has provisioned for a 3-year runway to operationalise and deliver ROI on this new venture.
Develop and lead commercial strategy
- Work with the Research and Development Partner and wider leadership to establish and grow a new machine learning and data science capability in the firm. Co-design and deliver the "start-up" strategy.
- Develop a deep understanding of relevant client needs through methodical design thinking style research; create a prioritised set of robust ideas around how we can meet those needs and generate new revenue for the firm.
- Starting with the highest priority ideas, create a set of compelling case studies via a series of pilots with clients.
- Create clear paths to revenue for some or all of the case studies/pilot projects, by designing the business models to operationalise them; implement the business models by effectively engaging and influencing stakeholders throughout.
- Work with the Service Design team to identify relevant client needs and help partners generate robust ideas on how best to fuel client solutions by leveraging data science, machine learning and the client, Firm and external data that is available.
- Build and lead a passionate, multi-disciplinary team, nurturing a united team dynamic that fully leverages geographic and skills diversity.
- Develop the team to be high performing by finding the right approach to talent management, e.g. recruitment, coaching, training and reward.
- Integrate the new team into the Firm, scaling the benefits of new skillsets by promoting the core team internally and e.g. cascading self-service tools.
Operational Project Leadership
- Get hands on with projects, leading multiple parallel client engagements in collaboration with relationship partners.
- Contribute to robust and effective governance through regular reporting to and engagement with the Reinvent Board, the EC and others
- Identify and spotlight key institutional barriers early and flag to relevant leadership to remove or mitigate them.
Internal and External Relationship Management
- Develop strong relationships with BM partners and clients and become a trusted advisor to the relationship team.
- Drive our relationships with key partners, like SparkBeyond, and other vendors to maximise value.
Travel will be required
About The Team
The project team will be a horizontally functioning team working with and across Professional Business Services (PBS) teams to enable prioritized project execution and drive.
This role will report to the Research and Development Partner.
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- Project Steering Committee and EC Liaison
- Reinvent Board
- Alliance Chief Executives / Office Managing Partners
- Global Practice and Industry Group Leaders
- PBS Global Functional Leaders, Global Directors and CXOs
About the Candidate
Technical Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's degree; MBA an advantage
- Significant demonstrable prior experience of successfully implementing business strategy at the C-Suite level in a professional services environment
- Experience in developing revenue-generating service lines, ideally incorporating technology-led solutions
- Track record of successful project design and delivery combining strategic thinking with ability to operationalise
- Excellent stakeholder influence, diplomacy, challenge and management skills
- Experience influencing successfully in a partnership, and leading change in a matrixed environment
- Deep analytical capabilities and comfort in managing complex data sets and systems to build strategic insight solutions
- Actively open to new and creative ways of working and able to thrive during change
- Intellectually agile, results oriented, self-motivated and resilient
- Clear and persuasive communicator, strong storyteller
- Strong team player, charismatic people leader
- Entrepreneurial mindset and experience
- Legal domain expertise (ideally a qualified lawyer but could have extensive experience with a Legal Services Provider) is essential
Leadership Requirements / Team Qualities
- Legal industry expertise – good knowledge of corporate client needs, strategy, operations and management
- Law Firm investments/functions - familiarity with Law Firm growth aspects, including but not limited to markets, talent management, financials, client services/engagement, and technology (legal and beyond)
- Project management – ability to decipher, analyse and execute projects in a meaningful way
- Creative problem solving – healthy creativity in solving for issues and roadblocks
- Thinking ‘outside the box’ – ideas-oriented, with a knack for ‘innovative’ thinking
- Functions – knowledge of all functional teams within Professional and Business Services, including Business Development, Marketing and Communications,, Talent Management, Finance, Knowledge Management, IT and other sub-units
- Technical – familiarity with our technical infrastructure and ability to apply existing/new angles to approach within our overall framework
Institutional Knowledge + Stakeholder Relationships (for internal candidates only)
- Firm – Baker knowledge including infrastructure and culture, historical growth strategies, existing programs/systems etc.
- Offices/Teams/People – how we operate, function and communicate overall
- Key relationships – has worked with various key stakeholders in regions, alliances, PG/IG and functions
- Territorialism – ability to break down territorialism issues in offices, functions, practices and various services
- Diplomacy – possesses a diplomatic persona with the ability to work/align with various lead attorneys/PBS employees at all levels
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
About Baker McKenzie
Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organisation, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people - regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age - to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.